How to disable tap to click on touchpad of a spin SP515-51GN

luvirini
luvirini Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a new spin 5  (Spin SP515-51GN)  and I cannot find where to disable the tap to click on the touchpad in windows 10.

In my old Lenovo Yoga I had to go to advanced mouse settings and select synaptic touch pad and do it there, but the Acer spin 5 just has a generic hid mouse driver for the touch pad and that does not have any such setting. Basically on the Lenovo only the lower left and right ends of the touch pad would do a left and right click respectively after that setting and no clicks just mouse movement from the rest of the touchpad.

I tried downloading and installing the elantech touchpad/fingerprint driver from the support drivers section and install it, but nothing changed.

Help me! The random clicks when I am moving the mouse with the touch pad are driving me crazy.

Answers

• DarkRaNgEr
    DarkRaNgEr Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    luvirini said:
    I have a new spin 5  (Spin SP515-51GN)  and I cannot find where to disable the tap to click on the touchpad in windows 10.

In my old Lenovo Yoga I had to go to advanced mouse settings and select synaptic touch pad and do it there, but the Acer spin 5 just has a generic hid mouse driver for the touch pad and that does not have any such setting. Basically on the Lenovo only the lower left and right ends of the touch pad would do a left and right click respectively after that setting and no clicks just mouse movement from the rest of the touchpad.

I tried downloading and installing the elantech touchpad/fingerprint driver from the support drivers section and install it, but nothing changed.

Help me! The random clicks when I am moving the mouse with the touch pad are driving me crazy.

Hi luvirini,

On the right side of the bottom taskbar click on the NOTIFICATIONS icon, then click on ALL SETTINGS. Click on PERSONALIZATION, then THEMES. The last option under RELATED SETTINGS is MOUSE POINTER SETTINGS, select it. Then click on the last tab called DEVICE SETTINGS and again on SETTINGS. A new window will open up with the mouse pointer options. Uncheck TAPPING and you're all done. Hope this helps.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Did this answer the question? Yes · No

Thanks and Regards,

DarkRaNgEr

• luvirini

Tinkerer

luvirini said:

Hi luvirini,

On the right side of the bottom taskbar click on the NOTIFICATIONS icon, then click on ALL SETTINGS. Click on PERSONALIZATION, then THEMES. The last option under RELATED SETTINGS is MOUSE POINTER SETTINGS, select it. Then click on the last tab called DEVICE SETTINGS and again on SETTINGS. A new window will open up with the mouse pointer options. Uncheck TAPPING and you're all done. Hope this helps.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Did this answer the question? Yes · No

Thanks for the reply but after PERSONALIZATION, then THEMES there is no "MOUSE POINTER SETTINGS" under "RELATED SETTINGS", only "Desktop icon settings" "High contrast settings" and "sync your settings".

There is the "Mouse cursor" up near the top that opens a "Mouse Properties" Window with "Buttons" "Pointers" "pointer options" "wheel" and "Hardware" tabs at the top. (It is the same window that comes up when going to control panel and selecting "mouse"). 

In the corresponding window there is a "device settings"  after the "hardware" with the Synaptec logo on the Lenovo and there I could change the tap setting.  But there is no "device settings" on my Acer Spin 5

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Press WinKey + R. Enter main.cpl. Adjust settings therein. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Press WinKey + R. Enter main.cpl. Adjust settings therein. Jack E/NJ
    That is the same window as control panel->mouse, it does not have a "device settings" tab to adjust things on the spin 5. It only has "Buttons" "Pointers" "pointer options" "wheel" and "Hardware" tabs at the top.
  • JackE
    >>>I tried downloading and installing the elantech touchpad/fingerprint driver from the support drivers section and install it, but nothing changed. >>>

OK. Open settings apps & features. Uninstall any Elantech drivers. Also check Device Mgr for any red or yellow warnings. Then try re-running the Elantech setup.exe. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I tried downloading and installing the elantech touchpad/fingerprint driver from the support drivers section and install it, but nothing changed. >>>

OK. Open settings apps & features. Uninstall any Elantech drivers. Also check Device Mgr for any red or yellow warnings. Then try re-running the Elantech setup.exe. Jack E/NJ
    After remove/reinstall and "scan for updated drivers" the driver changed from "hid compliant mouse" to "elantec i2c filter driver" but there is still no device settings. Device manager has no warnings and is showing that filter driver as the only mouse.

• JackE
    What does running main.cpl show now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What does running main.cpl show now? Jack E/NJ
    Same as before except for one minor detail: in the hardware tab the device name has changed from "hid compliant mouse" to "elan i2c filter driver".  Still no device settings.

• JackE
    OK. Run the registry editor, regedit.exe. Export a copy of the registry to your desktop just in case problems arise. Then search/find "smartpad" in the registry. Under the HKCurrentUser and HKLocalMachine main directories, change all the dword=1 settings to dword=0 for any smartpad Tap-enable categories that you can find using find and find next functions. Then exit regedit and re-boot. Report results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Run the registry editor, regedit.exe. Export a copy of the registry to your desktop just in case problems arise. Then search/find "smartpad" in the registry. Under the HKCurrentUser and HKLocalMachine main directories, change all the dword=1 settings to dword=0 for any smartpad Tap-enable categories that you can find using find and find next functions. Then exit regedit and re-boot. Report results. Jack E/NJ

There are no found string smartpad at all in the registry. (searched with all of "keys", "values", "data" selected and "match whole string" not selected from the whole registry)

• JackE
    OK. Try another search for "Elantech" or "Elan". Tap-enable dword settings have gotta be buried in that mess somewhere. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Try another search for "Elantech" or "Elan". Tap-enable dword settings have gotta be buried in that mess somewhere. Jack E/NJ
    Elantech finds a few things:
    The setup file location couple of times
    and under currentcontrol set (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpResources\Registry\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech)
    there is a long row of port0 master, port 0 slave and similar but they all only have a (default) "reg_sz" with no value set and "owners" seg_multi_sz" with value "oem47.inf". Nothing seemingly tap or any other mouse/touch pad related.

Searching for elan gives a lot of unrelated things like "felanguage..", but also a ELANFP(that I think is the fingerprint sensor) under the current control setting that has a lot of sub categories but they all with the same type info but "oem25.inf", the names of the entries seem fingerprint scanning related.

I think that for some reason the elan touchpad driver does not want to install itself.  I have tried also uninstalling the "hid-compliant touchpad" driver and the touch pad stops working, but restarting installs it again instead of the elan driver and "update drivers" does not find any new drivers and pointing it to the elantech directory says that nothing usable found.

• JackE
    If you simply search "touchpad" in the start menu, does anything promising appear? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    If you simply search "touchpad" in the start menu, does anything promising appear? Jack E/NJ
    only touch pad settings where I have the "tap with a single finger to single click", "tap with two fingers for right click" and "tap twice to multi-select"  off and the "press the lower right corner of the touchpad to right click" on. Also all the scroll and zoom and multifinger gestures are off.

• luvirini

Tinkerer

Also to note: Turning the touchpad on/off from the touchpad setting works fine as does turning the "press the lower right corner of the touchpad to right click" on/off.
  • JackE
    Two more things to try. Uninstall any elantech touchpad driver. Then try re-installing the touchpad/fingerprint driver in Win8.1 compatibility mode. If still no joy in controlling tap2click, then uninstall again and try installing the Elantech touchpad only driver for the ES1-571. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Two more things to try. Uninstall any elantech touchpad driver. Then try re-installing the touchpad/fingerprint driver in Win8.1 compatibility mode. If still no joy in controlling tap2click, then uninstall again and try installing the Elantech touchpad only driver for the ES1-571. Jack E/NJ
    I tried both things but nothing changed.

Neither change made the device setting appear in the mouse control panel and the touch pad setting "tap to single click" has no effect.   The es1-571 driver is also not recognized as usable replacement for the  "hid-compliant touchpad" in device manager.

• JackE
    Sorry. The only other model I can find with Win8.1 or Win10 touchpad driver packages that might be compatible and have this tap2click toggle feature is the E1-572  At this point, I think the only way to determine if it was ever available in the original SP515-51GN factory-shipped ACER-specific Win10 mice and/or HID driver packages, is a full ALT+F10 factory-reset with router turned off (to prevent Win10 updates).  If nothing seems to work, then perhaps you should try to return the machine to the vendor as not meeting your needs for a refund or exchange. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• luvirini

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sorry. The only other model I can find with Win8.1 or Win10 touchpad driver packages that might be compatible and have this tap2click toggle feature is the E1-572  At this point, I think the only way to determine if it was ever available in the original SP515-51GN factory-shipped ACER-specific Win10 mice and/or HID driver packages, is a full ALT+F10 factory-reset with router turned off (to prevent Win10 updates).  If nothing seems to work, then perhaps you should try to return the machine to the vendor as not meeting your needs for a refund or exchange. Jack E/NJ

That e1-572 did not work either. I am not going to run an unpatched withdows so the factory reset does not make much sense, 

Thank you for trying so hard to help me.
  • JackE
    I only suggest the factory re-set as a temporary measure to see if the option appears. If the option appears, then you can turn on system protection and the router and let the Win10updates proceed. If/when the option disappears again, you should at least have a restore point and a better idea of which update is causing it. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ