next@acer 2020

Headphone jack not working! New Acer Swift 3 laptop

2»

FAQ & Answers

• Rudy21Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,508 Pathfinder
    Hi, I just discovered the same problem with my 3 week old Swift 3, which up until now was brill. I have tried three different headphone sets, one from my mobile with the extra contact on the plug. |None are recognised by the socket or the Sound tab. I have pushed as hard as hard! Nothing! Any ideas please?
    have you tried to re-install the sound drivers from device manager. Also, do you get sound from internal speakers and have you tested with external speakers
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  :)  :)
  • redhawk1977redhawk1977 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hey guys! So I bought an Acer swift 3 in China (been here for awhile and needed to get a laptop) And it has had a load of issues. Namely due to having windows 10 CHINESE home edition. what a joke. But on the bright side, it's helped me practice my chinese. As for this thread, I gave up on the headphones a long time ago. After doing everything I could think of... updating drivers, reinstalling windows 10... downgrading to 7... trying linux on the system... I've run into many worse compatibility issues trying to get out of Win10 than just putting up with the joke of an OS that it is. I don't consider myself a super user, but I'm alright when it comes to these kind of things. And this headphone jack just got me. The system wouldn't even notice that they are there. Nothing. Drivers work fine. Control panel shows the headphone jack is working properly.... blah blah blah. 

After giving up on it some 3 months ago, I decided I wanted to watch a movie tonight on my computer and there's people visiting my roommates and they are loud af. I want to use headphones. Its too much. Can't take it anymore. Start researching how to get rid of this issue. Nothing... Until you start doing a hardware search on the headphone jack itself. And viola! It's the easiest fix ever. 

Here it is: The headphone jack port has a seal to prevent dust and debris from entering the back of the headphone jack. when you put your headphone connector into the jack, it feels like its well seated, but its only seating into the fancy dust seal. You have to push hard. It will push through the dust seal and seat firmly in place. Your system will recognize your headphones and everything is fine. I honestly only registered with acer to post this comment because I'm so happy that I can finally use my headphones with my laptop. Don't worry about pushing too hard. You can't break it unless you apply force perpendicularly and snap off the connector in the port, which is really hard to do unless you're trying. 

Please let me know if this works for you also!
    Let's face it you can only press so  hard, but if your laptop detects that you have plugged something in as my swift 5 is doing and then you select headphones and it still doesn't work, except if you reboot the laptop, is it software or is it hardware, ive uninstalled re-installed rollbacked drivers and windows etc and its still not recognising the headphones except after a reboot. The contact acer in the support section doesn't actually contact anyone so that leaves you with opening a repair option.

Does anyone actually have a fix for this problem as its driving me mad. I did try pushing hard, but frankly my plug which is normal . ive tried two headphones and it just randomly stopped working as it was working earlier .. so theres no valid reason for this to happen unless its hardware . I havent done a full reset of the laptop but im not sure that will work either.

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    I just rebooted and its working fine now. i even replugged it a couple of times. . totally random failure. I used to work for IBM im used to looking for problems but this one has me toasted and now 2 minutes later unplug and replug its not working again. Acer needs to get someone available to chat to customers, or at least to customer emails. This acer answers is not technician lead its user lead and we don't know enough to deal with this issue. If this isnt resolved by the end of the week i'm going to waste my time and acers putting this in for a repair if its easily resolved by software.

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    i'm going to try a full reset ill report back, but if that doesnt work its hardware as far as im concerned so its  a repair job, amusingly the sticker on my laptop boasting a 3 hours service for repair www.acer4u.in.th is actually a dead website ..however type it into to google you get this https://www.acer.com/ac/th/TH/content/service3
  • redhawkredhawk Member Posts: 4 New User
    ok so I reset my computer using the recovery partition and it appears to be fine, I can't decide if i installed something funny or its a windows 10 update problem ill review this and see what happens
  • FefeaceFefeace Member Posts: 1 New User
    Olivooar said:
    Hey guys! So I bought an Acer swift 3 in China (been here for awhile and needed to get a laptop) And it has had a load of issues. Namely due to having windows 10 CHINESE home edition. what a joke. But on the bright side, it's helped me practice my chinese. As for this thread, I gave up on the headphones a long time ago. After doing everything I could think of... updating drivers, reinstalling windows 10... downgrading to 7... trying linux on the system... I've run into many worse compatibility issues trying to get out of Win10 than just putting up with the joke of an OS that it is. I don't consider myself a super user, but I'm alright when it comes to these kind of things. And this headphone jack just got me. The system wouldn't even notice that they are there. Nothing. Drivers work fine. Control panel shows the headphone jack is working properly.... blah blah blah. 

After giving up on it some 3 months ago, I decided I wanted to watch a movie tonight on my computer and there's people visiting my roommates and they are loud af. I want to use headphones. Its too much. Can't take it anymore. Start researching how to get rid of this issue. Nothing... Until you start doing a hardware search on the headphone jack itself. And viola! It's the easiest fix ever. 

Here it is: The headphone jack port has a seal to prevent dust and debris from entering the back of the headphone jack. when you put your headphone connector into the jack, it feels like its well seated, but its only seating into the fancy dust seal. You have to push hard. It will push through the dust seal and seat firmly in place. Your system will recognize your headphones and everything is fine. I honestly only registered with acer to post this comment because I'm so happy that I can finally use my headphones with my laptop. Don't worry about pushing too hard. You can't break it unless you apply force perpendicularly and snap off the connector in the port, which is really hard to do unless you're trying. 

It works m8 THX

After one year, I found the same "problem" with Acer Aspire 5 A515-52-50NT(a marvelous notebook), and I was going crazy already with this.
    Thank you so much.
  • 2020toinfinity2020toinfinity Member Posts: 1 New User

Bro, I registered with Acer just to say THANKYOU SO MUCH! I am working from home with the lock down and had to return an HP laptop due to third party seller using a refurbished laptop as the product but selling as new and the screen went after 5 days, then I spent whole weekend looking for a laptop I could pick up on Sunday and Argos (UK) had an Acer. Then the bloody headphone jack wasnt working and all my zoom and skypes were coming out of the speakers I was almost at my wits end and I then saw your post... Thank yous
  • magicapmagicap Member Posts: 1 New User
    i was having this problem too and i tried everything but nothing worked, a bit later as i was trying to figure this out for myself so i clicked on the notifications bar in the bottom right corner of the windows tab thing ( idk what its called) and i had a notification asking me what i plugged in and i selected headphones and that worked for me. i just forgot i had notifications on silent so i never thought of looking through them. i didn't see any comments about this so i made an account just to see if i could help anyone one out:)
  • SachinpareekSachinpareek Member Posts: 2 New User
    Rudy21 said:
    Hi, I just discovered the same problem with my 3 week old Swift 3, which up until now was brill. I have tried three different headphone sets, one from my mobile with the extra contact on the plug. |None are recognised by the socket or the Sound tab. I have pushed as hard as hard! Nothing! Any ideas please?
    have you tried to re-install the sound drivers from device manager. Also, do you get sound from internal speakers and have you tested with external speakers
    Bro ,now you can help me to solve this problem , i am facing same problem in same problem
  • billseybillsey ACE Posts: 11,033 Trailblazer
    @Sachinpareek you should start a new thread so we can work with your specific problem. Include your full model number, the symptoms you are seeing and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.