Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Headphone jack not working! New Acer Swift 3 laptop

Hi guys,

I've got a brand new Acer Swift 3 laptop (SF314-52) operating on Windows 10. My speakers are working fine but when I plug headphones into the headphone jack the sound continues to come out of the speakers...

I've tried everything:
1) Tried right clicking the sound icon, the only available playback device is the speakers, and the option to show disabled devices is on
2) Tried installing the latest audio driver from acer.com (Audio_Realtek) 
3) Have then looked for updates available for this driver - none available
4) Have also looked for any windows 10 updates - none available
5) Tried 3 different sets of headphones

I have no idea what to do next! This is a brand new laptop so I'd hope this would be working really...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you!!

FAQ & Answers

• Rudy21Rudy21 Posts: 1,336ACE Pioneer
    Hi, looks like you have tried all possible troubleshooting. this could be a hardware issue so please contact acer support for any help
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  :)  :)
  • padgettpadgett Posts: 4,012ACE Pathfinder
    There are contacts in the jack that are supposed to open when you plug a headphone in.
  • JordanBJordanB Posts: 3,347ACE Pathfinder
    I've been known to plug things in to the wrong port.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • SnokeSnoke Posts: 13Member New User

First under control panel go to Realtek manager and enable the front speak port to have priority over the rear port.

If that does not work try this do not get your audio Realtek driver from your supplier or from Realtek go to station driver website (be careful check your Acers manual for the check audio driver model and brand check then under device manager check in the hard ware what version is installed and by whom).

Caution: here if you do not feel this website is safe do not proceed ok I use it because they have device drivers I cant get from my motherboard supplier anymore and I only use the Realtek, Intel Audio, Graphic drivers mainly.

Some systems have more then one Audio sound maker installed example Intel will have their on board audio chip running along side Realtek audio ones for the sound and the other for the wi fi or blue tooth so double check to see if all the audio device are configured correctly according to the specs.

Secondly under control panel go to Realtek manager and enable the front speak port to have priority over the rear port.

• TomDTomD Posts: 11Member

Tinkerer

If you do not find a solution the best thing to do is to make it to the guarantee because your pc is still new ... Thanks ! ;)
  • H2O3H2O3 Posts: 3Member New User
    I have the same issue with headphone jack with my Acer Swift SF314-52. Is it software issue or hardware issue ?
  • enger13enger13 Posts: 9Member New User
    Did you find a solution ? I'm having the same problem. 
  • DarkstainDarkstain Posts: 4Member New User
    I have same problem... Acer Aspire 7 A715-71G-5941

• kjskjs Posts: 3Member New User
    If you are updated to v1803, the microphone is not picking up any Sound like Skype, it's due to privacy enhancement, to re-enable it.
    a. Open Settings > Privacy > Microphone
    b. Turn on the toggle which says Allow apps to access your microphone.
    First of all I loaded from live USB Linux distr. 
    I plugged the headphones and started music, nothing happened, there was no sound from headphones.
    I opened sound panel and choose the "headphones (unplugged)", after that I heard one channel, I moved  the plug a little bit out, and then I heard stereo in the headphones.
    I think, it is a hardware problem with headphones port, it doesn't detect headphones plug, and he has a bad contacts.
    Is anyone use service to fix that ?
  • liuzhaobangliuzhaobang Posts: 1Member New User
    Hey guys! So I bought an Acer swift 3 in China (been here for awhile and needed to get a laptop) And it has had a load of issues. Namely due to having windows 10 CHINESE home edition. what a joke. But on the bright side, it's helped me practice my chinese. As for this thread, I gave up on the headphones a long time ago. After doing everything I could think of... updating drivers, reinstalling windows 10... downgrading to 7... trying linux on the system... I've run into many worse compatibility issues trying to get out of Win10 than just putting up with the joke of an OS that it is. I don't consider myself a super user, but I'm alright when it comes to these kind of things. And this headphone jack just got me. The system wouldn't even notice that they are there. Nothing. Drivers work fine. Control panel shows the headphone jack is working properly.... blah blah blah. 

After giving up on it some 3 months ago, I decided I wanted to watch a movie tonight on my computer and there's people visiting my roommates and they are loud af. I want to use headphones. Its too much. Can't take it anymore. Start researching how to get rid of this issue. Nothing... Until you start doing a hardware search on the headphone jack itself. And viola! It's the easiest fix ever. 

Here it is: The headphone jack port has a seal to prevent dust and debris from entering the back of the headphone jack. when you put your headphone connector into the jack, it feels like its well seated, but its only seating into the fancy dust seal. You have to push hard. It will push through the dust seal and seat firmly in place. Your system will recognize your headphones and everything is fine. I honestly only registered with acer to post this comment because I'm so happy that I can finally use my headphones with my laptop. Don't worry about pushing too hard. You can't break it unless you apply force perpendicularly and snap off the connector in the port, which is really hard to do unless you're trying. 

Please let me know if this works for you also!
    >You have to push hard.
    Yes! You're almost 1000% right!  I take my Swift 3 into the service and they just push jack hard and ....
    - Windows noticed find new device (headphones)
    - Headphones sounded well.
  • OlivooarOlivooar Posts: 1Member New User
    Hey guys! So I bought an Acer swift 3 in China (been here for awhile and needed to get a laptop) And it has had a load of issues. Namely due to having windows 10 CHINESE home edition. what a joke. But on the bright side, it's helped me practice my chinese. As for this thread, I gave up on the headphones a long time ago. After doing everything I could think of... updating drivers, reinstalling windows 10... downgrading to 7... trying linux on the system... I've run into many worse compatibility issues trying to get out of Win10 than just putting up with the joke of an OS that it is. I don't consider myself a super user, but I'm alright when it comes to these kind of things. And this headphone jack just got me. The system wouldn't even notice that they are there. Nothing. Drivers work fine. Control panel shows the headphone jack is working properly.... blah blah blah. 

After giving up on it some 3 months ago, I decided I wanted to watch a movie tonight on my computer and there's people visiting my roommates and they are loud af. I want to use headphones. Its too much. Can't take it anymore. Start researching how to get rid of this issue. Nothing... Until you start doing a hardware search on the headphone jack itself. And viola! It's the easiest fix ever. 

Here it is: The headphone jack port has a seal to prevent dust and debris from entering the back of the headphone jack. when you put your headphone connector into the jack, it feels like its well seated, but its only seating into the fancy dust seal. You have to push hard. It will push through the dust seal and seat firmly in place. Your system will recognize your headphones and everything is fine. I honestly only registered with acer to post this comment because I'm so happy that I can finally use my headphones with my laptop. Don't worry about pushing too hard. You can't break it unless you apply force perpendicularly and snap off the connector in the port, which is really hard to do unless you're trying. 

It works m8 THX

• CedJCedJ Posts: 1Member New User
    It worked for me thanks a lot. Sometimes these are the most basic tips that are the harder to get.
  • LumenhoundLumenhound Posts: 1Member New User
    luizhaobang, thank you so much for providing the solution.
    I had the same problem and found your answer quickly via search engine.
    I would not have thought about an internal dust cover on the headphone/speaker jack but it makes perfect sense.
    Now I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of it myself.
  • reddog000reddog000 Posts: 16Member Troubleshooter
    Yep liuzhaobang I just did not have the headphone connector pushed in far enough.  Headphones...work now....awesome!
  • oumlounesoumlounes Posts: 1Member New User

Thank you so much for the help. it worked for me, almost thought about returning my laptop because of this !
  • C8C8 Posts: 1Member New User

Thank you!!! I just got the Acer Aspire Slim 5 today and was about to freak out because I thought the headphone jack wasn't working. Glad I found this!