Problem when opening Excel file Cannot open file "file name.xlsx" the format or extension is invalid

dominicmorrill
dominicmorrill Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2022 in Windows 10
There is a problem when opening a Microsoft Excel file. Text with the following: Cannot open file "file name .xlsx" because the format or extension of the file is invalid. Make sure that the file is not corrupted and the file name extension matches its format. Here is what I tried: 1) Find the AutoSave of a document in Office\Recent files. 2) Change the extension to. zip and. rar files, then wanted to unzip and save again. DID NOT WORK! The format varies, but not unzip. 3) Tried various programs: EasyRecovery, GetBackDataNTFS, R-Studio, OpenOffice, OfficeFIX. To open a file fails. Moreover I can't copy and move. The file is on the memory. A file is very important!!Help!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• juggy123
    juggy123 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

1. Change the Excel Sheet File Extension:

In some cases, it is found that users are getting the error due to the unsupported file extensions of the file, so it is worth trying to alter the excel sheet file extension. Follow the steps to do so:

• Verify the support of xlsx extension and then go to ‘My Computer’.
    • After that browse Tools > Folder Options > File Types.
    • Now, check the ‘xlsx’ extension is included there or not. If in case not, then rename the file and change ‘.xlsx’ to ‘.xls’.

Hope this will help you to resolve the Excel Cannot open the file error but if not then make use of the second manual solution.

2. Utilize the Open and Repair Utility

You can make use of the inbuilt open and repair utility to fix the error, follow the steps to make use of it:

• First click on “Open” in the File Menu
    • And from the list, select corrupt excel file
    • Next from the drop-down list of the “Open” tab > select “Open and Repair”
This discussion has been closed.