G9-793 - Making Recovery USB

ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
editado março 2023 em Arquivo de 2017
I want to wipe my laptop back to 100% factory.  I do this periodically, to keep things fresh and fast.  I'm sure I'm already doing it right, but I want to confirm.

When I open Acer Recovery Management, and Create Factory Default Backup, is that the equivalent of the old "system restore discs" that came with older PCs?  I ask because I swear I don't remember the window looking so generic and themed like every other aspect of Windows.  I thought it had an "Acer" theme to it, kind of like Alienware had when creating the recovery discs from its specific software.

So my next question is, how close to a clean, generic install of Windows 10 is the "backup" that it makes?  And since the laptop came preinstalled with Windows 10, I assume that if I install Windows 10 clean (from a downloaded ISO from Microsoft), that it will automatically activate as the key is stored on the motherboard.

Would like to get this wiped and get some stuff reinstalled by tomorrow night.  This recovery thing has me bugged out.  lol

Melhor resposta

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Responder ✓
    I will try to answer the best I can from the documentation and looking at it myself (Didn't actually do it).

First: I would say it is comparable to a system restore disk. Acer is basically just using the built-in Windows 10 tools, not original Acer backup software. This (Create Factory Default Backup) is to put a copy of Windows 10 on external storage. I will inform you that Windows 10 is now nearly unbreakable unless the computer itself is broken in some form, but I guess it never hurts.

Second: If all you are requiring is a clean install, going to the "Restore" tab in Acer Care Center has a "Reset this PC" option. "Settings > Update & Recovery > Recovery" has the same option and I would assume they are the same? This will basically wipe everything but Windows files and restore default settings, resulting in a clean install. They also give the option of keep personal file, that are under the User folders, but deleting any application files and system setting changes.

I have never done this so I do not know if it keeps Acer essential files and drivers. I would assume that it would if you use the options from the Acer Care Center. If not they can all be re-downloaded from Acer's website.

Hope this helped some. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Respostas

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Responder ✓
    I will try to answer the best I can from the documentation and looking at it myself (Didn't actually do it).

First: I would say it is comparable to a system restore disk. Acer is basically just using the built-in Windows 10 tools, not original Acer backup software. This (Create Factory Default Backup) is to put a copy of Windows 10 on external storage. I will inform you that Windows 10 is now nearly unbreakable unless the computer itself is broken in some form, but I guess it never hurts.

Second: If all you are requiring is a clean install, going to the "Restore" tab in Acer Care Center has a "Reset this PC" option. "Settings > Update & Recovery > Recovery" has the same option and I would assume they are the same? This will basically wipe everything but Windows files and restore default settings, resulting in a clean install. They also give the option of keep personal file, that are under the User folders, but deleting any application files and system setting changes.

I have never done this so I do not know if it keeps Acer essential files and drivers. I would assume that it would if you use the options from the Acer Care Center. If not they can all be re-downloaded from Acer's website.

Hope this helped some. 

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • ChevyCam94
    I'm going to give it a go in about 30 minutes.  Making sure I have everything I still want backed up.
  • Good luck!

Now I should of added some things. I have used the "Reset this PC" on my desktop before, I just don't know how it will do with Acer's theming of Windows 10.

Let us know how it turns out and what option you chose.  =)

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • ChevyCam94
    So, as it turns out, whenever you make a new "recovery USB media", it uses the currently installed OS, including the major updates like Creators Update, and so on.  Some Microsoft updates don't carry over, but that's ok.

My original recovery media (when I bought the laptop) put me at 10.0.105866 build 10586.

The recovery media I made last night put me at 10.0.16299 build 16299

So my suggestion is that you update your recovery USB media every so often, especially after installing a major update (and confirm it's working for you, and not screwing something up).