gateway DX4860-UB33 Will the 1050 ti work with my dx4860-ub33p, that has a legacy bios?

Plexico
Plexico Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

I ordered the EVGA GTX 1050 ti Gaming. I found out that some of the newer cards don't have legacy support, and some do. Many of the things I have read have been very confusing and contradicting so I came here for an answer.
My computer is a gateway DX4860-UB33P Windows 7 with a legacy bios. I put a CX430w in there and im currently running an HD 7770. The socket is LGA1155/socket H2 with the h67 express chipset.

My question is, will this be likely to work or should I just cancel my order before it ships?

I can't ask gateway support because my warranty has expired.

Answers

• IsaBalls
    IsaBalls Member Posts: 7 New User

I have essentially the exact same question for the DX4860-UR14P. Have been trying to get it working, thus far to no avail.

• Plexico

So you actually ordered the 1050 ti (or a different card?) and it didn't boot?

• IsaBalls

Ok, you caught me. Not the exact same card.  A 1060, but I am going to guess the issue is likely the same. That is, this is not going to work on a Legacy-only Bios.

From what I have seen, it is probably UEFI/EFI related. There are a few troubleshooting things I have found that I haven't tried yet, but odds are If you are running on a non-UEFI install of Windows, it's a no-go. Looks like Linux people are having a hell of a time too.

I am hoping for some sort of definitive answer from an Acer rep though. It seems like some these DX4860 models can be made to work, and others not. It is rather annoying that the semi-defunct Gateway website doesn't break down the individual models of this line on its support page.

From what I have seen if your DX4860 came pre-installed with Windows 8 you have a good chance of it working after toggling a few settings, and/or updating your BIOS.  If not, it seems like there is a good chance it won't work with a newer Nvidia card.

• Plexico

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gateway-DX4860/1415

It appears there are people with our computer running cards all the way up to a GTX 1080. For windows 7 though, the best card is a GTX 970. I am unsure what to make of this and I'm just praying that the card will work when it gets here.

• IsaBalls

Yeah, the issue there though is the same as I mentioned above.  the DX4860 has a bunch (I am not sure how many) of sub-models. It seems like some of them will work, and some will not.

• Plexico

Ah, you're right.  On that benchmark website the best card that a UIR14P appears to have is a  GTX 650 ti. I guess that specific model can't support the newer cards, but that is weird because it is a newer model than the ones that do support them. I'll post back here when my 1050 ti comes on whether it works or not.

• IsaBalls

Where/how are you seeing that?  The interface on that site you linked is making it really difficult to figure what the heck is ever going on there. I don't see anything on the sub-model designations anywhere though.

• Plexico

Go down to where it says user benchmarks for this system. You can tell what version of the DX4860 it is by the cpu. The UR14p has an i5 3450, while the UB33P has an i5 2320.

• IsaBalls

Where are you getting those model specs from? I can't seem to find them on any definitive site.  Gateway only lists the processors that came in the general DX4860 series, and it doesn't match with what is on that User List there...

• Plexico

There is no definitive list of them. I just googled the specs of the different models. A UR14P has an i5 3450, and a UB33P has an i5 2320. You can also see the bios date of each user benchmark which tells you when it was manufactured, giving you a better idea of what model it is.

• IsaBalls

ok, so no help there.

• cds111
    cds111 Member Posts: 3 New User

so did you have any luck with the card working? i have a Gateway DX4870-UB20P and i just bought a evga gtx 1050 and after i installed it my computer wont boot up and has one long beep followed by two short beeps. i contacted evga tech and they think its a compatability issue. so then i contacted nvidea tech to see what the best card i can get for my pc and they said that the gtx 1050 i got should work.

• Plexico

Card gets here thursday. Sorry to hear that yours didnt work.

• Plexico

The  card ended up working, but it didn't boot into Windows at first. I reinstalled windows using the gateway recovery partition (alt+f10) and now it works with my computer. It posted the whole time though, so I don't know if this is helpful if your computer won't post.

• IsaBalls

This is laughably unhelpful.

• Plexico

I dont know why you came into a thread like this and expected someone to solve all your problems?  If the card doesn't work with your pc, return it. Did you think I was gonna give you some magical solution to make your motherboard compatible? I got the card and it worked for me, idk what to to tell you.

[please keep it courteous]

• NEROZEROS
    NEROZEROS Member Posts: 1 New User
    Im like 3 years late but Plexico is right, it will work with the gateway Only for DX4860-UB33P Version tho