Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A variety of All-In-One PC ideas that stow (and charge) a keyboard and mouse

jorge1170xjorge1170x Posts: 38Member Troubleshooter
edited October 9 in Acer Ideas
I feel that the "full" spectrum of potential PC form-factors has not been explored yet, and that many people, especially the millions or billions of people who do NOT have a good place to set up a traditional "Desktop PC", would benefit from more "transport-able" Desktop PC designs.

Here are a few concepts for practical "Desktop" PC/Voice Assistant Kiosks that would work well in Kitchens, Dining Rooms, Dorms, Barracks and other less-traditional locations. There are also Construction and Gaming variants.

Note: Most of the designs would benefit from Google Home integration, as they would not only be PC's, but kiosks as well. They could run Chrome as well, or even a switchable combination of Windows and Android.

Comments

• Acer_IdeasAcer_Ideas Posts: 285Member Practitioner

The Force is strong in this one, Obi-wan!  Watch him carefully.

When I started reading your post, I'll admit I did a bit of an eye roll.  But when I saw your drawings my eyes stopped rolling and started bugging out!  Nice work, J!  Very interesting concepts.  Yes, I am indeed passing these on to our design team for consideration.  Thank you for your well thought out and documented input.  Very cool!

• jorge1170xjorge1170x Posts: 38Member Troubleshooter
    Hello. I've been trying to post a new discussion, but it seems my posting privileges have been revoked, so I'll just put it here :)

Discussion: Please make a truly usable "Pocket PC"

I believe that there will always be a desire for a true "pocketable" laptop. We know that there are certain companies ("GPD" in particular) that are shrinking the laptop down to the point where it actually does fit in a large pocket, however, the problem, as far as I see it, is always going to be the keyboard. While a tiny, yet high-res 5-6" screen still manages to remain functional, a similarly sized keyboard simply does not work. I feel that Samsung nearly perfected the ideal form-factor for the true pocket-PC idea almost a decade ago...but then they let it wither on the vine. It was certainly a bit of an impractical device back then, mostly because it ran Windows XP, but I feel that TODAY, with Android, ChromeOS, and to a lesser degree Windows 10, readily available, this form-factor is begging to be resurrected! Basically, it is a three-part fold-able laptop..(1.display + 2.left keyboard + 3.right keyboard). Please revisit this idea! :)

P.S. If you Google "Samsung WIMAX PC", it comes up pretty easily. Here are some images from my G-Drive:

***Didn't let me post a link :(

It seems the image links were broken, so I figured I'd re-upload at least one of them :)
    Oh, nevermind, the links aren't broken :)
    I still believe that the ultimate all-in-one gaming tablet that I roughly sketched out above could still be a viable product idea someday. I have since come up with improvements such as on where to attach a headset. The whole point is to NEVER need any type of travel bag, and to NEVER need to charge multiple items...you just charge the whole package with the one cord. A 30-min battery allows you to switch from outlet to outlet, but not really to game for very long, as the display is approx. 24-26" diag.
    With gaming components shrinking and displays becoming cheaper, I feel that this design becomes more viable with every day that passes.
    edited October 9
    With all these smart displays springing up from Lenovo, Amazon, Facebook...I feel there is now a way to have a full desktop PC "hidden" in your kitchen/dining area...a full PC that stows EASILY on a counter-top or on better, on a wall bracket when not in use. While in its stored mode, it is simply a smart display that shows you weather, YouTube, etc. But when the kids bring home a complex homework assignment to do, you pull it off the wall, deploy the keyboard/mouse, and voila! You are in productive mode. In the old days, people had family rooms for the desktop PC to collect dust in on the days when you didn't need it...but today I would venture that fewer and fewer people have dedicated areas to set up a "True PC", and as a result, I bet that a lot of them compute on a tiny laptop in the dining room. (I know a lot of people that sadly do this). There's a better way IMO.

I used to believe that this thing should run Windows when deployed into desktop mode...but now I am sure that it should run only ChromeOS.