What operating system can I install on a Gateway Essential 433C?

wnlewis
wnlewis Member Beiträge: 7

Tinkerer

bearbeitet April 2023 in 2019 Archiv
My wife bought a Gateway Essential 433C a long time ago. She has some records on it that are still necessary; plus she likes it better than any of the newer computers we have. Windows 98 is on it now but has some serious problems that will not let it network, even barely. It's not backed up and I can't wipe it out and start over. The best option seems to me to buy the newest complete and legal operating system that the computer will run, and carefully install it. Anti-virus for is probably going to be problematic, but as a standalone, word processor/spreadsheet machine, it should still work just fine. Thanks for your help.

Beste Antwort

• wnlewis

Tinkerer

Antwort ✓

billsey said:
    Windows 98 Release 2 is SE, you could certainly go to ME (released not that awful long after the system was built) and likely to XP. You really want to do a full backup before getting into anything else though. As a SE machine it should have a USB port (likely USB 1.1) and you might be able to use a small flash drive with it for the backup. If it won't work with modern flash drives you might be able to drop a second IDE drive in (might require a cable replacement to one with both connectors) to use for the backup.
    The computer was originally to be sold with ME. However, ME had such a bad reputation at that time that Gateway gave customers the option to back date to Windows 98 SE. So that was what was done. I will see if I can get a USB 1.1 flash drive, back up the machine, install ME, and then see if it can be updated to XP SP3. Thanks for the help.

Antworten

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Beiträge: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@wnlewis   

Operating System should be installed on a computer, by checking hardware System Requirements. It is also mandatory to check availability of Drivers for the computer & OS. Please share the exact full model # of your computer, hence I can try to look.  
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Beiträge: 31,454 Trailblazer
    bearbeitet November 2019
    Likely if it's running Win98 now the newest supported is either going to be XP or 7. There's essentially no chance it'll run 10, the processor won't be compatible. Best bet is going to be move the data off to a newer system and have her bite the bullet and get used to newer environments. 20 years on a system is pretty good. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wnlewis

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Likely if it's running Win98 now the newest supported is either going to be XP or 7. There's essentially no chance it'll run 10, the processor won't be compatible. Best bet is going to be move the data off to a newer system and have her bite the bullet and get used to newer environments. 20 years on a system is pretty good. :)
    I'm guessing ME or 2000 since ME was an option for the computer; maybe XP. Moving the data is going to be difficult without putting in a new operating system. Getting her to go to a new machine? I don't think so.
    Balatekie said:
    Hi!!

@wnlewis   

Operating System should be installed on a computer, by checking hardware System Requirements. It is also mandatory to check availability of Drivers for the computer & OS. Please share the exact full model # of your computer, hence I can try to look.  
    From the back of the computer: Micro ATX FMN Essential 433C. S/N 0018062220. Build date: 3/22/00. Windows 98 version 2, 4.10.2222A. It is a Celeron processor.
  • wnlewis

Tinkerer

What other information should I get and where would it be found? Thanks
  • wnlewis

Tinkerer

Balatekie said:
    Hi!!

@wnlewis   

From the back of the computer: Micro ATX FMN Essential 433C. S/N 0018062220. Build date: 3/22/00. Windows 98 version 2, 4.10.2222A. It is a Celeron processor.
    Forgive me for jogging things, any chance you found something. If the information I provided is not enough, where should I look for what you need? Thanks.

• wnlewis

Tinkerer

Balatekie said:
    Hi!!

@wnlewis   

Forgive me for jogging things, any chance you found something. If the information I provided is not enough, where should I look for what you need? Thanks.

• billsey
    Windows 98 Release 2 is SE, you could certainly go to ME (released not that awful long after the system was built) and likely to XP. You really want to do a full backup before getting into anything else though. As a SE machine it should have a USB port (likely USB 1.1) and you might be able to use a small flash drive with it for the backup. If it won't work with modern flash drives you might be able to drop a second IDE drive in (might require a cable replacement to one with both connectors) to use for the backup.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wnlewis

Tinkerer

Antwort ✓

billsey said:
    The computer was originally to be sold with ME. However, ME had such a bad reputation at that time that Gateway gave customers the option to back date to Windows 98 SE. So that was what was done. I will see if I can get a USB 1.1 flash drive, back up the machine, install ME, and then see if it can be updated to XP SP3. Thanks for the help.
  • billsey
    No problem, I think you'll find that any flash drive will likely work, you just need it to be FAT32 instead of NTFS. I'd get one about the same size as the drive inside the machine. And expect that the backup will take a while, USB 1.1 was only fast for it's day. :)
  • wnlewis

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    No problem, I think you'll find that any flash drive will likely work, you just need it to be FAT32 instead of NTFS. I'd get one about the same size as the drive inside the machine. And expect that the backup will take a while, USB 1.1 was only fast for it's day. :)
    A quick queston. What is a good backup software to use on a Windows 98 PC? Thanks!