Upgrade from Vista to Win 7

Angela2
Angela2 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an Aspire 3100-1352 Laptop. Apparently OS Vista is no longer supported. What can I do? Windows 7 requires a certain amount of harddrive space but my drive is split to C and D, and I can't access the space on D. I have deleted all the files and apps that I can on C drive. Can't afford new computer, what does ACER suggest?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

How much stuff do you have on the D: drive? If there is still a lot of room there you probably want to use a partition utility program like Partition Magic (there are a number of this type of program, you want to make sure the one you choose still works with Vista) to shrink the D: partition, then expand the C:. Once you have enough room on C: go ahead and do the upgrade. When you have Windows 7 up and stable think about moving everything left on D: to C:, then removing D: altogether and expanding C: to fit the full drive. The split partitions method has pretty much gone away over the last ten years or so.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

How much stuff do you have on the D: drive? If there is still a lot of room there you probably want to use a partition utility program like Partition Magic (there are a number of this type of program, you want to make sure the one you choose still works with Vista) to shrink the D: partition, then expand the C:. Once you have enough room on C: go ahead and do the upgrade. When you have Windows 7 up and stable think about moving everything left on D: to C:, then removing D: altogether and expanding C: to fit the full drive. The split partitions method has pretty much gone away over the last ten years or so.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Angela2
    Angela2 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you, I will try this. My D drive is almost empty, so I hope I can remove the partition. Thanks again for responding.