recovery drive for Acer Iconia W3-810 - making

Rocco99
Rocco99 Member Posts: 8 New User

Tried making a recovery disk using Acer Recovery Management. Lead to believe it would take 16 Gb.  USB drive only has several Gbs used.

Tried doing it again. Get error message - something like defaul drive configuration changed.  Tablet not in front of me now to check exact words.  Repeated steps. Same error message.

Should there be 16 Gb +_ on the USB drive?

What's up with the error message?  Is there a fix?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

HI..

Do you have a 32 GB or 64 GB model?

The process for creating a Acer recovery media is different between the 32GB models and the 64GB models. The 32GB does not contain a recovery partition but the 64GB does.

• Rocco99

1. I have a 32 Gb version.

2. If the 32 Gb version does not have a recovery partition:

2.1  Why doesn't the guide for the devise not so state?

2.2 How does someone recover the devise?

• Rocco99

devise > device

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

It came with recovery media instead of a recovery partition. You would have had very little free space if there were a recovery partition, effectively doubling the space used.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rocco99

Except mine didn't!  Had it come with a recovery disk, I would have tried to figure out how to create or obtain one.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

They are available through the Acer store. You'll want to make sure you get the right one for your locale.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aleunge
    aleunge Member Posts: 51 Troubleshooter

Sharanji, is Acer aware of the issue a lot of us are having using those Acer supplied recovery disks?  For the 32GB version, we purchase the recovery disks from Acer because our tablets don't come with them, but there is something inherently wrong with the disks and it effectly "bricks" our tablets when it gets stuck during the process.  You might be recommending users here to purchase the recovery disks, but you're unknowingly sending some of them to their tablet doom. 

For me, I even had to send it in for warranty to get it fixed, and after receiving it, I notice that Acer knows something is up but won't confirm it; my revived 32GB W3 has a different setup, in which the recovery partition is present (8GB, less free space but worth it) and Acer Recovery Management software is installed for making backup copies to USB stick.  It sure looks like Acer knows the recovery disks are not working for people and people are sending them in for service just to have them restored to factory.  That's why they setup my tablet completely differently after this service.

It just completely sucks for anyone who does not have warranty still and have a tablet that does not work at all now.

Help us, Sharanji.  You're our only hope: http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Acer-Iconia-W3-810-factory-setting/m-p/264048#M11130

• Rocco99

1. If one was supposed to come with the device, shouldn't I get one FREE? If so, how?

2. Could I use one of many imaging programs to create a bootable image?

• Rocco99

1. What is the warranty period?

2. With your "repaired" tablet, are you now able to make a workable recovery disk or USB as you supposedly can with the 64 Gb model?

3. Have you given thought to using a third party disk imaging/recovery program. That's appealing to me, if some issues are not prohibitive, since I have updated to Win 8.1 and I don't want to get Win 8.0 recovery media.

• aleunge

Hey Rocco:

1. AFAIK, recovery disks do not come with the device.  That's also why I inquired about it with Sharanji, whom did not answer.  People who paid for the recovery disks and find out that the disks actually brick their machines are really in it for a nasty surprise.  It looks like Acer is aware of it too, but decide to let customers vend for themselves...

2. Don't think you can use third party backup software to boot off of and restore.  With our UEFI and chipset, it's supposedly not possible.  You would only be able to do so with built in Win 8/Acer recovery for booting up and recovering.

1. It's one year over here in North America.  Assuming you're in the US, you can use this to check if yours is still under warranty: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/system-information (but it could be wrong and you can correct it if you provide proof of purchase)

2. YES.  The reparied tablet has a completely different setup (same as the W4).  The recovery partition is there and you can use Acer Recovery Management to make a recovery USB.  But even without it, I have booted off of the recovery partition and done factory restores twice with no problem.  (but if you wipe out the recovery partition for space, you'll need to rely on the USB... and I'm not sure if it'll work but it "should")

3. Nah man.  Like I said above, no go.  You'd always need to upgrade to 8.1 after a restore, at least AFAIK.

• Rocco99

Thanks for the information.

If Acer fixes its recovery media, please let us know.

• Rocco99

Just checked in to see if the have been any develpments. It looks like there are none!

Bottom line:

*  The 32 Gb model doesn't come with a recovery partition or recovery CD.

*  You have to BUY the recovery media.

*  The recovery media as of now BRICKS the device.

*  The warranty in the USA is one year. What if you buy and only have to use the recovery media after the warranty ends?

This SUCKS.

Maybe I should get the media nd use in in the warranty period and then get the benefit of the recovery partition in the device when it is sent back?

Any conflicting opinons?

• aleunge

Heya Rocco99,

Forum user wvillanueva and I are still trying to see if we can figure out a working recovery process.  He has a working recovery USB from my machine and will see if it can work for his (and then hopefully means it will work for the rest of the peeps).  He hasn't gotten a chance to check yet, but we'll report back when we know.  Keep you posted.

And yes, if yours is still under warranty, it might be best to take advantage of that and get your machine in for an updated configuration.  Afterwards, it will work like it should have in the first place.  Smiley Mad

This discussion has been closed.