Windows-10 Creators Update does not support Acer W700/Intel Graphics Driver

robertkjr3d
robertkjr3d Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

1) My brightness controls do not work.  Either stuck 100% or like 20%

2) No rotation.

3) Driver failed, "basic driver" employed.

I saw another post on this issue.  But I'm not willing to reinstall Windows.  Is there a better solotion?

I've tried a couple of different Intel drivers, none so far are working.  I could try reverting to an earlier state of Windows I suppose. That is dump the 'Creators Update' for now,

Currently I've tried the latest 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' Driver namely '10.18.10.4653', but it just reverts to 'basic'.  I tried what I think is the latest that came with Acer's (Intel) 'Intel_HD_Graphics_win8_64_15280b2'.  It does not work either.

Answers

• robertkjr3d

Tinkerer

For now I've reverted back to an earlier version of Windows 10.  Everything is back working.

Not the most ideal... but I'm back up and running.

See this other thread, and he also reverted:
    http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/w700p-and-windows-10-creators-update-issues/m-p/498506#M21040

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

When we last saw these types of issues Intel ended up with newer drivers to fix it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RandyV
    RandyV Member Posts: 39 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Same here.  Creators updated broke the video and other platform-related drivers on my W700 -- which is unfortunate.  I keep hoping Intel will release drivers that will fix things but so far nothing.  I am unable to automatically revert to the pre-Creators update because of Microsoft's silly 10 day time limit.  Re-installing is a huge pain so I'm going to hold out longer and hope someone comes up with a solution.

• robertkjr3d

Tinkerer

After 10-days, it dumped the 'Windows-old' directory automatically?  Usually one has to get rid of older windows versions yourself.  I've not heard of a 10-day limit for revert.  

See if you've lost a lot of GBs of space, and that you can see a 'Windows-old' directory under the C-drive.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Why I take a system image before a major upgrade. No onboard disk space required and no expiration.

• RandyV

FWIW - I gave in and re-installed Windows 1607.  This immediately fixed all of the W700 driver issues with brightness, rotation, etc that Creators caused.

The only problem now is I keep getting the annoying warnings to review my privacy settings because the OS wants to re-ipgrade to Creators.  There doesn't appear to be a way to stop the warnings so now worry that Microsoft is just going to upgade the instalaation without warning whch will just break eveything again.

C'mon Acer - this isn't right.  The W700 is perfectly capable of running the latest version of Windows 10 with all system devices functioning.  

You owe it to your customer base to fix the drivers so the W700 works with the Creators Update.  

• robertkjr3d

Tinkerer

RandyV wrote:

FWIW - I gave in and re-installed Windows 1607.  This immediately fixed all of the W700 driver issues with brightness, rotation, etc that Creators caused.

The only problem now is I keep getting the annoying warnings to review my privacy settings because the OS wants to re-ipgrade to Creators.  There doesn't appear to be a way to stop the warnings so now worry that Microsoft is just going to upgade the instalaation without warning whch will just break eveything again.

C'mon Acer - this isn't right.  The W700 is perfectly capable of running the latest version of Windows 10 with all system devices functioning.  

You owe it to your customer base to fix the drivers so the W700 works with the Creators Update.  

I have not had an issue with my Tablet Demanding to go back to the "Creators Update".  Are you sure that's something you can't select to ignore? I don't even remember having to do that after reverting to an earlier Win-10 version.

Also, Acer has stated that they are actually waiting on Intel, for more up-to-date drivers.  So maybe Acer can do something, maybe they can't.

• RandyV

robertkjr3d - thanks for the reply.   The first warnings I got after reverting to 1607 were definitely about upgrading to Creators - just as I had recevied before upgrading to Creators the first time. 

Once I blew those off those messages several times, the wording changed to indiate that I had to review my privacy settings "in perparation for the next upgrade."  This is a full screen message that takes over just like the Creators message did, but the only option to dismiss it is to review the settings.  I have not done that because I believe doing so will green-light Windows to upgrade me to CU again.  The only way out of the message is to reboot which is an incovenience as it pop up every few days.

I do hope Acer is working with Intel on the W700 drivers as you say.  I upgraded to Creators when I first had the options to, not realizing that things on the W700 would break.  That's my own fault not checking Acer's site which clearly says the W700 is not ready for CU. 

Now that I've reverted and have everything working again, I want to keep it that way until Acer/Intel officially gets things fixed.

Randy

• USABrit
    USABrit Member Posts: 2 New User
    The problem with the latest Windows update is that it continually tries to install itself when your back is turned. I have had to revert back to the pre-creatures software  4 times on my V5 to get my system to run with dual monitors. You would think that Microsoft would at least put in a more than a base video driver, which can run dual monitors. I will NOT buy a new laptop just to allow the latest Windows upgrade to work, this is a crazy situation, I have downloaded all of the Intel drivers from this site and none of them work, I have combed the Windows support forums and all you hear is.... silence! 

So, please Intel what do we have to do in order to get the card recognised by Windows for ALL future upgrades.

Michael
  • robertkjr3d2
    robertkjr3d2 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ok... So it is me again (Robertkjr3d).  The latest for me is: 'I was blissfully working fine, Windows-Updates were blocked in general because of a problem'.  After I downgraded back to 'Windows-10 16(something).  See above.  However... I really wanted to upgrade something in the 'Windows-Store'.  I really needed it.  I mean a deal-breaker type thing.  I had the application, but the newer version was out, and had to have it.  My 'Microsoft-Store' was hosed on my machine.  There was no way to repair it.  I tried everything, all the instructions, nothing worked.  The only thing left to do was to 'RESET Windows'.

So I 'Reset Windows'... Installed everything, including that beloved 'Applications' latest version. (JW-Library btw.)  
    But Now my machine wanted to update to the 'CREATORS UPDATE.  So I'm pooring through instructions about how to stop it, and how to prevent it.
    You can set your 'WIFI' connection to 'METERED'.  But that is only a stop-gap.  What if you find yourself somewhere else.  You can 'Disable' the 'Windows-Update' service.  But it will start---- intermittedly.  

The next-step I did was.  Because I really like this tablet is: 'I purchased WINDOWS-PRO'.  Windows-Home just doesn't give us the options we need to delay this monster.  I bit the bullet and paid $99 bucks.  Acer should refund my cost.  Then in Windows-Pro you can set the 'Feature-Update' delay to 180 days.  Then you can do it again and again.

(Acer seems to have blocked my Robertkjr3d) account. I'm beginning to dislike 'Acer' in general.  I tried a few times to reset the password.
  • RandyV
    edited December 2017
    Despite having the 1709 "Feature Update" blocked on my W700, Windows Home installation has now downloaded it anyway and is prompting me to schedule a restart so it can install and wreck the tablet again.  So I now have to be very careful that I don't accidentally hit "Update and Restart" or "Update and Shutdown" and I still have to deal with Windows constantly popping up a message asking me to schedule a restart.   Ugh.  

If anyone knows how to delete a pending 1709 update that has already been downloaded but not install I'm listening.
  • USABrit
    USABrit Member Posts: 2 New User
    So, it looks like I have to surrender to Windows 10 and throw this Acer away in favor of an updated HP, who do seem to keep their video card software updated.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Well once upon a time you could block updates by running services.msc. Search for Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update. Stop the services and on properties disable them.
  • robertkjr3d

Tinkerer

It's me again... Today I was in another place and my WIFI connection was not marked metered.  I must have been beyond the 180-day 'stay on this branch..'.  So it was trying to install once again.  So I searched for the latest way to block.
    This worked today:
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3188869/microsoft-windows/todays-the-day-to-block-windows-10-creators-update.html
    That is the 'wushouhide'.
  • robertkjr3d

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    The continuing Saga...I may be the last living person running this tablet.  It is still running well. (Well except two problems). 

Great battery life (I did replace it once...) The processor in my version a Core I-5 1.8mgz is quite hefty, still quite relevant today.  PCs/computers don't vastly change like they used to.  They have hit a manufacturing wall. 

The problems: As stated above I have to keep it running on Windows-10 version 1607.  The (WuShowHide after upgrading to Windows-10-Pro is the answer to doing that)  I'm having problems with 'Windows Store Apps'.  Windows needs rebuilding.  I've tried everything to fix them.  The ones I have, some work, other do not (properly).

I've finally upgraded (if you can call it an upgrade...) To a Surface Pro 3.  It is actually quite comparable.  At least it is better supported.  But the battery life was probably better on the Acer.  I don't know I'm still comparing.  The Surface has better graphics, audio, and pen capabilities.  It can drive a 4K TV.

Acer (And they blame Intel) Refuses to update the drivers for the W700.  Still I'm going to rebuild this W700 tablet, and give it to my father in law.  It may run for yet another 5 years.
  • isoldebe
    isoldebe Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2018
    Great! Thank

Insightww.com