W3 & W510 Windows 10 & Intel DPTF

padgett
padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

OK this is interesting. As you may know for several weeks the Intel GMA (Graphics Accelerater) was keeping Windows 10 from installing on Clover Trail based tabs (W3 and W510). About a week ago "something" happened and it began installing but only if every important and optional Windows update had been applied.

Shortly afterwards we noticed that if you opened Device Manager>Sytem Devices every Intel (R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drive was flagged with a yellow "i" and had not loaded properly. Also all except one services were stopped.

Apparently what had happened was that "something" in the upgrade process also upgraded the DPTF drivers to version 7.1.0.20. This version does not seem to work.

Now examination of the latest Acer driver set (3.02 for the W510 and 2.01 for the W3) both contain the same set of DPTF drivers: 6.2.9200.30457.

Replacing the drivers with the ones from ACER cleared all of the yeelow "i"s and it boots clear now.

Moral: if you upgrade a W3 or W510 to Windows 10 you may need to roll back the DPTF drivers to the ones released by ACER. (from Device Manager, open each DPTF entry and select Properties>Driver>Update Driver>Browse my computer...>Let me pick... and select the 6.2.9200.30457 then reboot)

Answers

• maurysz2
    maurysz2 Member Posts: 19 New User

Hi

sorry. I don't  know  what the DPTF drivers are and where can I get the version you speak about. can you help me there?

• maurysz2
    maurysz2 Member Posts: 19 New User

Me again.

My problem is mostly with audio.

Thanks

• padgett

This thread was on the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers. If your problem is with audio, please open a new thread and be specific about what platform and operating system you have.

I have played audio through my W510/Win 10 for over an hour & works fine.

• mobile_preact
    mobile_preact Member Posts: 1 New User

Can't ACER put it into one of the upgrades for the ICONIA W510 so it will work.   I had a HP tablet much smaller than the ACER and about two weeks ago it upgraded to windows 10.  All updates etc were required beforehand.

But it worked.

• padgett

Acer has limited resources and in some things they have no control over their vendors (DPTF is an Intel product). In this case the current Intel DPTF driver applied to the W510/W3 when upgraded does not work and it is necessary to revert to the 8.1 driver.

There is an enormous amount of testing and experimenting needed to find things that work reliably and it makes sence that Acer would concentrate on current products first. Frankly the  Clover Trail SOC is an Intel product, not an Acer and Intel consideres it obsolete. I just happen to have a W3 and a W510.

Know that is not a good answer but is the truth.

• jcarloacsay
    jcarloacsay Member Posts: 34 New User
    Im not sure if you have w3 or w510. My question is. Does everything works as they should in windows 10?
  • padgett

Once I corrected the DTPF issue and rolled back the Intel video driver to .1176, yes.

Also I have both a W3 and W510 and both are running Win 10.

• jcarloacsay
    Padgett, what bios are you running? Thanks!
  • jcarloacsay

how do you replace it? Do I uninstall it firts?

• organite
    organite Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello padgett,

can you give us more details on your drivers, bios and installation to get the 5 Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Frameworks (DPTF) services running on Windows 10?

I have a W510 on windows 10 with latest Acer drivers (3.02) and so DPTF drivers version 6.2.9200.30457.

I don't have any (i) in the device manager but the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Low Power Mode Service Application (DptfPolicyLpmService) is not running (others are running).

I tried different versions of dptf drivers with wifi drivers version .83 and .113 and w/ or w/o windows smartscreen but the service never starts (on windows 8.1 it was ok).

Thank you for your details.

• padgett

Just checked and my "low power" is on "automatic" but is not running. I put that down to a full charge and line connection. Am still running 30457 on my W3. BIOS is 1.04

• vinniemac
    vinniemac Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread now but even more modern SoCs have the same issue on upgrade.

I have an Acer Aspire R3-131T N3700 Braswell SoC and DPTF Drivers do not behave nicely at all. It suggests to me that the DPTF Driver is not as Generic as it seems otherwise in theory ALL DPTF drivers should work as they are provided by Intel and part of the driver signing process is that they are tested to work with the hardware that is being signed off.

In this case, when recently upgrading from the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 to the Windows 10 Creators edition RTM Windows updated the DPTF Drivers, Serial IO drivers and Serial I2C drivers.

The laptop kept freezing which prompted me to check the Device Manager as I knew from experience the DPTF are buggy at best. This is how I knew they had been updated.

The problem happens when Upgrading the DPTF Manager driver, for some reason it does not like updating to anything other than Acers stock driver on the R3-131T support page. Should it update the process just hangs until it times out and you have to force a shutdown and restart and manually update the drivers using 'Have Disk' to the stock ones in sequence...

DPTF Generic Participant

DPTF Generic Participant

DPTF Processor Participant

DPTF Manager

I don't know why it has to be in this sequence but it just happens to be.

DPTF Manager is the last to be updated despite it being 3rd in Device Manger list under DPTF.

Of course, Acer are under no obligation to update the drivers on their website because they work, it is not these stock drivers that are at fault however the motherboard in the Acer Aspire R3-131T though it has Intel componants is customised to Acer.

My question is, that it has to be a combination of things to be causing the issue and likely I believe to be a customisation somewhere surely.

Never the less, this issue on DPTF is widespread and not just limited to Acer but Intel don't seem to want to know either.

Cheers