Touchscreen issues: Phantom touches and a dead spot bottom left corner

ClintBX
ClintBX Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi AFMs,

I recently bought a refurbished Acer Aspire P3 171 and I've been having anomalies with the touchscreen from day 1.

First I would get this weird locked cursor hold (like a recurring square trying to click around the mid left of my screen)

That went but then I started getting phantom touches at the bottom and near the left. It keeps opening whatever taskbar pin is there. I had to swap my onedrive with evernote in order to reduce my frustration when typing.

And just last night, I discovered that there's a dead spot that doesn't respond to touch at all at the bottom left corner but about an inch above the bottom. I have 2 folders on my desktop that can only be opened by mouse (unless I move them of course)

I've tried several things like turning off and then back on the touchscreen, recalibrating and scanning drivers.

Is this a software issue or is it maybe a hardware problem?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Sounds more like hardware than software to me. I think the digitizer uses a grid to locate positions on the screen and something like a poor connection could easily act like both phantom touches and dead areas. Try booting clean to see if that changes things then try a safe boot to see what happens there. Those should do a decent job of eliminating software.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ClintBX
    ClintBX Member Posts: 7 New User
    I'll try a safe boot. Not sure what a clean boot is.

It looks like I'll be using the warranty if it's a hardware thing.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Keep us informed as to how it comes out, if you could.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.