MicrosSD Card Iconia 8 W4 820

jlivio
jlivio Member Posts: 7 New User

Any suggestions for a Micro SD Fast Card compatible with Iconia 8 W4 820? What is the maximum size?

Thanks,

Joao

Best Answer

Answers

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

The Max size would be 64Gb,. Card type is MicroSD,. Cheers
  • cgstocks
    cgstocks Member Posts: 4 New User

I use a Sandisk Extreme PLUS (32G, which Acer suggest is the largest the tablet supports, although I've successfully read and written to a 64G card).  The Sandisk microSD supports very fast write speeds (30MB/s), which is why I use it.

• jlivio
    jlivio Member Posts: 7 New User

Thanks, i ended up to buy a Class 10 48mb 32GB, works fine but only formatted as NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT32 become very slow.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I suspect the microSD card slot is essentially USB 2.0 which limits the speed to about 20MB/s. Has anyone run speed tests on a W4 ?

• cgstocks
    cgstocks Member Posts: 4 New User

Running CrystalDiskMark on the 32G Sandisk card gives the following results (1G sequential file write size in first test, other test file sizes as shown in the left hand boxes; QD is queue depth):

W4CrystalDiskMark.jpg

I suspect the limiting factor is the microSD card, not the microSD card interface.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

If that was with a class 10/U1 then the limit was the socket & driver. Low 20s for sequential read is about what I have seen. That is a much faster write though more like I see on a fast flash drive.

• EDIflyer
    EDIflyer Member Posts: 7 New User

I bought a SanDisk 128GB Ultra MicroSDXC Class 10 card before even thinking about maximum card size - thankfully it seems to work absolutely fine in my W4-820!!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

I expect the same will hold true for 256GB, 512GB and 1TB cards as they become available. Where there is an issue is in formatting a card and in speed, the SDHC slots will not format the higher capacity cards and they'll run at SDHC speeds instead of the native speed of the newer cards.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cstocks
    cstocks Member Posts: 2 New User

The 32Gb SanDISK Extreme PLUS I gave the read/write speeds for in an earlier post failed catastrophically last week.  After it failed to register when inserted into the uSD slot, I burnt my fingertips when I removed it!  It had got so hot, the card had cracked.

So..... on that basis, I probably wouldn't recommend one of these.  It's the only SD or microSD card I've ever had fail.