Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework 8.1.10605 update break win 8.1 on W511

Permidion
Permidion Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

so, just in case someone else get the same issue as me.

I have a W511 still running windows 8.1

this morning I updated the "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" as it was proposed in the windows update.

after that the system was continuously rebooting before I could even access the desktop.

in short the culprit was that Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework update, version 8.1.10605 or so.

how to fix it:

reboot in safe mode, then open the Device Manager and manuall uninstall all "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" in the list with checking the [x] delete driver option.

then you can restart in normal mode.

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework will appear as "unknown" device in the Device Manager but at least the system doesnt reboot anymore and you can install or re-install the drivers from the Acer driver pack which work ok.

problem solved.

the problem can be confirmed if you look at windows "Event Viewer" > "System" and you will see lots and lots of Error with the message "The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event".

also if you are unlucky like my, the "normal" way to reboot in safe mode doesnt work and I had to start with the recovery command prompt and type "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network" then "exit" and reboot.

I hope this help

Answers

• RafaelBahia
    RafaelBahia Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks a lot for the help. The same thing happened to me. Your solution worked flawlesly for me.