Iconia W510 lost wifi adaptor

Ulrik_Smed
Ulrik_Smed Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi. My W510 suddenly lost its wlan connection. I installed LTspice and opened a file from my server succesfully, but after that the wifi adaptor vanished into thin air. It's not even present in device manager. The tablet was running win8.1, I tried a full win10 install from scratch, but still no wifi adaptor in the device manager. As I recall there used to be bluetooth too, this is also gone.

I removed the back of the tablet, seems that there is a combined wifi/bluetooth board soldered to the main board. I suspect this has failed somehow.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

That sounds as if it's the case. You may be able to use a USB dongle to restore network connectivity but the long term fix is likely to be a new tablet. Replacing the motherboard is not likely to be cost effective.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ulrik_Smed
    Ulrik_Smed Member Posts: 2 New User

Hm no, you'r right about that. It hit me that it could be the adaptor that lost its firmware. I've seen a USB JTAG adaptor suddenly die, and I was able to reflash it back to life with a firmware upload tool. Does such a tool exist to this wifi adaptor? Can someone recall exactly what adaptor it is? I can't get its ID now when it's not present in device manager.

By the way, in the newly installed Win 10, there is a 'NFC proximity provider' present under 'network adapters' in device manager. That wasn't there in Win 7, here the entire 'network adapters' was gone. But I don't know if this is the same adaptor card. There also is a 'Broadcom serial bus driver over UART bus enumerator' under system, that says it cannot start. This was also present in Win 7.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

I think the NFC proximity provider is an overlay on Bluetooth, though it could work over wifi as well. It won't do anything without the underlying hardware though. The 'Broadcom serial bus driver over UART bus enumerator' uses a USB port that might or might not be exposed. It's possible both that both the wireless/Bluetooth module and the UART go over the same USB internally, which might point to motherboard problems instead of issues with the module.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.