Topic

Visitor
six3oo

Iconia W510 WiFi issues

This is a shout out to the Acer support people.

I got my Iconia W510 today. 2 problems:

1. The WiFi toggle is greyed out and can't be switched on, whether airplane mode is on or off.
2. Some "WiFi direct" thing in Device Manager has an error.

I can find no solutions to these issues. Hope Acer can revert quickly. This is a great product, and its a great shame that it ships with essentially broken WiFi.

Established Member
superryo

Re: Iconia W510 WiFi issues

i had the same problem until was finally able to connect.  once i force update the system and it rebooted, everything seems to work fine now.  in fact before updating, all the video apps and sound does not work properly.  glad to have the updates but it should have shipped with proper software as the update screen is very well hidden!

Contributing Member
Plinko

I've got the same issue.  How did you force update??

Visitor
power3960

I had the wi fi issue as well before the update.  I went into desktop mode, settings, opened control panel and selected windows updates.

After I did the updates my connections issues were gone.

Hope this helps.

Established Member
superryo

i swiped to get the charm bar then selected settings - change pc settings - windows update.

Contributing Member
Plinko

Interesting.  I didn't have any driver updates waiting for me on windows update.  Switching to a mixed wireless network seemed to do the trick, but that seems silly in this day and age.

Established Member
superryo

try to turn off wifi security on your router.  once you can connect then do whatever updates to your tablet then turn the security back on.

Spinozaii

I too have problems with the wifi on W510, perhaps it is related?

The problem appears after a reboot or when the tablet have been in sleep mode, the network icon in the taskbar has changed to one like normal indicates a cabled connection instead of the wifi icon.

The solution for me is simple, I just have to go to connection center > edit connections. The wifi somehow gets de-activated, and I have to right click and activate it. This happens aprox. every 4th reboot or sleep and is a bit annoying. I hope a update will fix this sooner or later.

/Thomas

Contributing Member
Plinko

I fixed my wifi problem a few days by traveling to the Samsung driver downloads and downloading the Broadcom ver 5.93.97.76 driver.  I believe the driver that came with my Acer was 5.93.97.6x.  Anyway, the wireless chipset is exactly the same between the Samsung and Acer w510 so updating from the Samsung site is fine. I upgraded the drivers Dec 6 and have not had a dropped connection since.

Here's the link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/XE500T1C-A01US#

Click the "See All Downloads" link

It is sad that Acer, thus far, does not have ANY drivers listed for the W510.  Gotta travel to a rival's site to get them.

Spinozaii

@Plinko

I have installed the driver you wrote about and it seemed to work fine for a few days. But today I have experienced same problem again twice, after a reboot my wireless connection is disabled and I have to enable it again manually.

Further I am beginning to experience more problems as other people have described, as the mouse pad not working, the touch screen being disabled after sleep, not starting at all after sleep etc. It seems like Acer have some job to do making fixing updates, and hopefully soon.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please take a moment to review the latest Community News article to learn about new changes to your community membership.

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: