Aspire Switch 10 Screen Burning after only 20 minutes?

Michelle222
Michelle222 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I bought an Aspire Switch 10 in August 2014, and I have absolutely loved it from the start. However, in the past week I have noticed screen burning after having stayed on a website for only twenty minutes. I wasn't sure if I was just seeing things at first, so I let it display the desktop for a while and then looked to see if the image was burned. It was, but it disappears after a few minutes. This is highly disturbing to me, screen burn should not be happening after this short an amount of time! I typically use the lowest brightness setting as well, so I don't know why this is happening, and it has only started in the last week. I am doing nothing different with it, I just use it to watch Netflix and go on the internet. Maybe it has something to do with the zero-air gap feature? I have no idea, but I feel like I've been ripped off if it starts having problems this soon. I haven't even had it a year yet!

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so how did you resolve it?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Please check if the Acer switch has the latest BIOS version.

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer live chat

If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

• Michelle222

Tinkerer

How do I update the BIOS? I know how to get to the download page, but the warning about "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product" worries me (see image below).

Untitled.png

I did not update it previously because of the warning. Is updating the BIOS simple to do? Is there anything I need to be aware of before updating it?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

The primary things you have to be aware of is what might happen if you were to turn the machine off during the upgrade process, either with the power button or by running out of battery. In those cases you run the risk of corrupting the BIOS, leaving you with a nice looking brick. If you leave your power button alone and leave the charger connected there is very little that can go wrong.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Michelle222

Tinkerer

I finally had the time to try updating the BIOS, and I get this error message for both updates that are available for the acer aspire switch 10:

Untitled.png

Then it exits after I click OK. Does this mean the BIOS is up to date already?

• billsey

Yes, you'll notice that both the current and new version are at V1.06.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Michelle222

Tinkerer

Ok, so now that we know the BIOS is up to date, what else could be causing the screen burning problem? (It is still happening.)

• billsey

It's a fairly common thing to see with these screens. It doesn't do any harm, but can be distracting. Try setting your default brightness lower to see if that helps. You can also try a color scheme with less contrast.