Acer Iconia W700 - Windows 8.1 Consumer preview refuses instalation

HolgerK
HolgerK Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I cant install w8.1CP on my W700. I used the Win Store to update the OS, download was succesfull, after shuting down the tablet by the installation process, boot screen apears, shutting down again and the tablet was booting the normal Win8 system and displaying the error that Win 8.1CP cant be installed.

Any suggestion?

best regards.

Holger

Answers

• loudog3114
    loudog3114 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have been trying to get this installed for days.  I just got the W3 and it installed with zero issues.  I have tried the following with no luck on my W700;

- Disabled secure boot

- Wiped OS with disks and started from scratch

- Booted from burnt ISO, the windows installer could not install to any partitions

- Ran the setup.exe from the burnt dvd from within windows 8, it reboots twice and fails with error 0x101 - 0x20017

- Attempted to update from the microsoft store, also fails

- Updated bios and attempted all of the above again, no dice

The partition scheme is exactly the same as my W3, so its not an issue of space, in my opinion.  I am trying the installation again from the store now with the usb 3.0 controller disabled in the bios.  Update to come...

• 1stTimeAcer
    1stTimeAcer Member Posts: 96 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

My suggestion is to stay with Windows 8 until the W700 has updated drivers to work perfectly with 8.1. The native Display driver provided by 8.1 is not compatible with the W700 and you will need to reinstall the older driver manually, But the biggest issue is the Bluetooth driver does not work completely with 8.1 and there is nothing yet that will fix the problem, not until a new driver is released.

I've had the 8.1 installed for a couple of days, and personally have found 8.1's new features may not be worth the incompatibility issue that come with it at the moment. I have now reverted back to 8 and believe it is the better option until drivers are updated by either Acer or Atheros.

• danimag83
    danimag83 Member Posts: 2 New User

good for you

since i installed the 8.1 preview my w700 is slow and laggy and bluetooth keyboard driver does not work

• loudog3114
    loudog3114 Member Posts: 3 New User

How did you guys get it installed?

• konardx
    konardx Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same problem and none of the posted solutions solves the problem. This is what i did to install windows 8.1 preview. Warning, this method will format your ssd so everything will be gone. You will also need to delete the primary partion so nothing is reversable.

1. Download the iso file and extract it on to your usb drive

2. Access boot menu by pressing both windows and power button at the same time. You will get to the boot menu. Change boot priority to usb hdd. Save, exit and reboot.

3. Windows installation will begin, select custom intallation when prompted.

4. There will be 4 partitions available. Select partition 4, which is the largest and user accessible.

5. You need to delete this partition, create new, format and intall Windows on this partition.

6. Once the computer reboot, remove your usb drive or your tablet will boot from it.

Remember to go back to boot menu and reverse your boot priority or windows will boot from your usb each time the computer boots or reboots.

• 1stTimeAcer

The standard method worked just fine with mine.

The update file from Microsoft's site installed just fine and after that the 8.1 preview became available from the App Store.

But I would probably still recommend you to wait until the drivers get updated....

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

After a number of days the update downloaded and ran today... Nothing has changed on my local system except the power save setting on the touchscreen, so I'm guessing whatever made it fail on my W700 has been fixed by Microsoft. 8.1 is downloading now so we'll see how the upgrade goes. I'm not really using bluetooth much, I use touch instead of the keyboard and mouse, so I'm not worried about waiting for updated drivers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HolgerK
    HolgerK Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello again,

the update is still not working. Tried again the Win Store, update failed again after second reboot.

It makes we wan't to tear my hair out!

greetings Holger

• victoram
    victoram Member Posts: 4 New User

Mine is absolutely LAGGY when i use the AC adapter it's very fast , on battery is sluggish slow, and yeah the bluetooth keyboard does not work anymore, and i Can't pair it, also i can't restore do windows 8

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Check the advanced mode options for power and make sure it's not throttling the CPU down a bunch when on battery.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kuzmany
    kuzmany Member Posts: 3 New User

I have similar issue - "AC adapter it's very fast , on battery is sluggish slow".

On battery i have Balandced/High performance enable. Still same problem.

• 1stTimeAcer

To make it work, you need to go to

Change Advanced Power setting > Intel Dyamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings> Low Power Mode Setting

Then change On battery from :Enable to :Application Specific

• kuzmany
    kuzmany Member Posts: 3 New User

After Refresh my PC (from Settings/Update&Recovery) is everything OK. 

Thanks.

• victoram
    victoram Member Posts: 4 New User

Yep, i discovered this some time ago, it's super fast now! everything is working perfectly, i can play my dota, bluetooth and wi-fi too working fine

• anawaz
    anawaz Member Posts: 1 New User

This:

Change Advanced Power setting > Intel Dyamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings> Low Power Mode Setting

totally solved my problem and helped me avoid recovery. Excellent!

• deaw8329
    deaw8329 Member Posts: 7 New User

anyone solve this problem?

• paulreeves
    paulreeves Member Posts: 2 New User

After months trying and wasting hours attempting the update from the Windows 8.0 Standard to 8.1 I gave up and purchased an OEM ISO of Windows 8.1 Pro fairly cheaply (around £30). I just couldnt be bothered to waste any more time on it.

Windws 8.1Pro is now running really well on the Acer Iconia W700.

Happy at last.

• DT
    DT Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Paul,

I had Win8.1 installed on my Iconia. Unfortunately the divice became very slow, especially the bluetooth part (keyboard/mouse). I got help from the service department of acer and they were very friendly and willing but it didn't solve my problem. Eventually I returned back to win8.

I liked some features of Win8.1 so if possible I would go to win8.1 again but the bluetooth problem should be solved first.

My question is: do you experience any bluetooth problems with your divice? My problem was the lag between typing and letters appearing on the screen.

Thanks!

David

This discussion has been closed.