Acer Iconia W700 Wi-Fi problem

2»

Answers

• spkrgeek
    spkrgeek Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks Raffi.  I did try your suggestion earlier and still no luck.  The built in Qualcomm Atheros wifi connection still drops every 5-10 minutes.

Here is a complete list of the changes I've made:

1. Downloaded the latest Qualcomm Atheros wifi / BT driver from the Acer support site.
    2. Ran WIndows Update to update  Windows 8 with all recommneded patches
    3. Set Device Manger > Network Adaptors > Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222 > Power Managerment > "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" to unchecked.
    4. Set Battery icon > more power options > power saving / balanced / high performance > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > wireless adaptor settings  > power saving mode  > on battery to "Maximum Performance" (I tried the other options as well)
    5. I'v tried a total of 4 different WiFI networks at home / work and the problem happens on each.

I did try a USB Wireless N Adaptor from D-link and the network connection using the USB adaptor has been stable for about 2 hours now.  I think this indicates that the problem is with the built-in Qualcomm Atheros adaptor and not with Win 8.   

I'm going to try to completely remove and then reinstall the Qualcomm Atheros drivers.   

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 84 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

I would like to contribute to this thread.

I have tried the following steps which have resolved the issue for me:

Download the latest driver from Acer Support site.

- Please make sure the version of the Wirelesss Lan Driver to be downloaded  is: 10.0.0.217

As this is a combo dirver it will also upgrade the bluetooth to 8.0.0.214. Hence the big filesize 220MB.

- Go into control panel and remove the current wireless lan + bluetooth drivers.

- Once removed you can go through and install the newest downloaded driver.

- Restart tablet after installation

• Crazy9000
    Crazy9000 Member Posts: 4 New User

My W700 has been working without interuption for the past half hour now. I did not try Asus' driver after some people in this thread said that didn't work, so I found an alternative version. Maybe some people still having problems could try what I did:

-Google " Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222"

-The first result is a http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=72&system=6 , so go there

- Click the "click for download" button, which takes a few mins then gives the download

- Uninstall the wireless card via device manager, and select the option to delete driver from the PC

- Scan device manager for hardware changes to get it to show up again

- Point device manager to the download (extract it first)

In case that page changes in the future, the file I used is named "win78-10.0.0.75-whql.zip". It sounds like it's an older version, but it seems to be working which is all I care about.

• Raffi
    Raffi Member Posts: 59 Troubleshooter

After reinstall the driver,if the issue is not fixed,Reinstall the OS if the issue persists

Tablet has to be sent in for warranty repair...

This discussion has been closed.