Acer Iconia W511 'Secure storage authentication failed' boot issue, can't seem to get past it..

PeterG777
PeterG777 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Hi, am really hoping someone can help with this, I can't think of anything left to try..

I recently bought two Acer Iconia W511 Tablets with Keyboard Docks at auction, they had had their Memory chip removed (the small daughter board with the 64gb storage on one side and the microsd & sim card slot on the other).

I purchased a replacement daughter board from the US and it arrived earlier today. Upon installing it and connecting the charger, when I start the unit all I get is a yellow message on screen which says:

"Secure storage authentication failed. Contact your support representative.
Error Code = 0x10000011"

it then reboots after a few seconds and shows the message again, over and over..

I've tried holding the Volume down button and pressing power to get into bios but it doesn't seem to accept it, I haven't been able to get into bios or get passed this message whatsoever..

I realise that the credentials on the new memory chip will be different, and that this is likely the central cause of the error message, but I can't seem to find a way to get into the bios to set a supervisor password so that I can disable 'secure storage'. And without the daughter board in there the unit wont power on at all (tried that too)..

Am really hoping someone here has seen the problem, or knows a way to get around/or correct it?

Many thanks.

Answers

• PeterG777

Tinkerer

This is the exact part I need, seems to be as rare as hens teeth, if anyone can help locate I'd sure appreciate it!

20141115_041434-500x500 - Copy.jpg20141115_041511.jpg

• Jimmyhotrod666
    Jimmyhotrod666 Member Posts: 1 New User

Evans Clarke international auctions........

Yep i had purchased 20+ of these tablets i am in the process of waiting on feedback from one of my IT supliers to find out more information regarding why they are not entering BIOS when doing these steps, as i have also purchased the rights parts to get these back in operational order again to resell of again.

but if you find out more or before i do let me know how you went.

regards jimIMG_20170523_131254[1].jpg 

• PeterG777

Tinkerer

At present time I'm consigning the two I bought to the trash/parts cupboard, which is a shame as they only need that tiny part to get them going again... Sorry to hear you bought 20 of them, ouch!

The part seems to be as rare as hens teeth, yet each model needs one to function.. best keeping an eye out in ebay auctions for a smashed unit where that part is still in it I would say.

• PeterG777

Tinkerer

It would seem that this forum is where "too hard" problems get shelved and unresolved Smiley Sad

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

You are unlikely to get a community member with detailed enough knowledge to have an answer to your question. You may be able to contact Acer support for help, but since it's not a warranty issue it won't be free. I don't think any W511 models were released for US use, since in the US they would have to be tied to a carrier for the 3G.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PeterG777

Tinkerer

I'm not in the US, I'm in Australia.. I contacted Acer Australia and they told me to post the issue here. Hate being given the run-around. Will likely not buy Acer again.

• PeterG777

Tinkerer

And I really don't want to pay $100+ per tablet for what would be 5 seconds work at an acer repair centre, I just want the answer to how to get them to boot into their firmware 'bios' again. Whether it be a utility I need to run from a USB stick to reformat the brand new internal storage chip and put a crypto key back on, or whatever... But noone on Earth seems to know how (not even the makers!) which is incredibly frustrating..

So, for now, I'm considering both units to be Ewaste, which is sad, because all they literally need is that info to reformat the storage and get back into the 'bios'. Will never buy an Acer tablet again.

• PeterG777

Tinkerer

And if Acer is not willing to share the information to reformat the internal storage and get back into bios, then they're trying to keep it all proprietry, and that's no better than apple.

• AMIN2
    AMIN2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi everyone  I have the same problem, on the 3rd November 2017 bought 4 tabs W511 from Evan Clarke auction SA and I didn't exactly know what they meant by having the memory chip removed until I opened it and realized that the whole memory bored gone.

I exactly don't know what to do, if I brought the memory bored will it exactly work or will it just give me an error code? does anyone have experience with this or know how to do it please? or has it actually worked out well?

Regards
    Amin

• McDougall
    McDougall Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am the Acer iconia tablet also from Evens Clark Auctions in Adelaide (Torrens Road) with the Memory Chip removed, the tablet will not even boot (turne On) nor go to bios, but it chargers and vibrates when the silver windows logo is touched. I was told by the IT guys at Even Clarke today the 19th of January 2018 that the tablet will not power up without the Memory chip or a memory chip installed. Can any one advise were I can get the memery chips ?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Sorry, I have a 510 but the memory chip is a non-removable SMD. 511's must be "different".

• goodaye
    goodaye Member Posts: 1 New User

looks like lots of us purchased these units from E&C. What is the latest news? I would be interested to hear if anyone managed to source the memory board or managed to get a unit to work.

cheers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Unfortunately the memory chip is only available to the 3G vendor, which is why they were removed before going onto the surplus market. I don't believe that vendor has surplussed any chips and I imagine the originals were destroyed. You might be able to find a used W510 motherboard to replace the unusable W511.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MartyRoc
    MartyRoc Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2019
    Hi everyone, does anyone have any of these tablets left? I have a couple with broken screens and am going to transplant the main board and WT3 card to one of yours with a working screen. I too am located in Adelaide, South Australia. Happy for people to PM me so I can purchase your tablets. I am based in Salisbury.
  • kaylamoy
    kaylamoy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I'm facing the same issue, I wonder if you "heard " anything getting closer to a successful move.