Acer Aspire Switch 10 - Wi-fi randomly dropping out

Tenaciousgreen
Tenaciousgreen Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hi all, I have problem a with my Switch 10. The internet connection drops frequently. It is followed by the signal strength icon showing 'Limited'. I then turn off WI-FI and turn back on and it does not recognise any networks at all. I then go into network settings, run the troubleshooter and it does its stuff, re-setting the network adapter, and then informs me that it could not find an issue. After resetting the adapter it works fine again.
I have tried unistalling and installing latest drivers but the problem persists. The problem lies within the adapter itself or the driver. My adapter shows as being REALTEK and i read on here of similar problems with the Broadcom adapter, which makes me think that the driver is causing the problem. Someone suggested that the Bluetooth was causing a conflict, so I removed bluetooth and it made no difference. (I have re-installed bluetooth. All drivers are latest ones.
My switch is not a month old yet and this happens a couple of times a day. and am close to returning the product. I like it, but cannot put up with such an important issue as the internet randomly dropping. Any assistance would be great.

Best Answer

• Tenaciousgreen
    Answer ✓

So in the last 24 hours, no random network dropouts, which leads me to believe that it certainly just a driver issue. 

For those having issues, and I know there are a few, the latest Realtek network adapter driver is version 3007.7.915.2014 dated 13/10/2014.

Now, Acer has the driver 3007.2.0702.2014 and shows a date of 26/11/2014.  This can't be right and I suspect that is the date Acer put it up on the driver download site, as internet search shows its release date in August of 2014.

To get the latest driver, search it using the version number on the net and find a link your happpy downloading from, or like me download a driver finder program (there are a few, but I used Driver Identifier) and it will find the download for you.

For those looking for a Broadcom driver, a internet search revealed a number of later drivers than the one shown on Acer download page.  Again the Driver finder program lists a number of later drivers, so give it a go and see if it helps.

Hope that helps all who have been suffering with this issue.

I just hope it carries on working without a hitch.

Smiley Very Happy

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Try shutting down the laptop, unplug the router/modem for a minute or two, plug them back in and start the laptop.

Go to device manager, click on yoy Wifi and select power management, uncheck let the computer shut off the Wifi.

Move to a less crowded channel on your router. Use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

on your phone and tablet and you will find that most routers default to the same channel and it's crowded.I put mine on 11.

• Tenaciousgreen

Thanks for the response,

I have done all that you have suggeted except we dont have the option for power management on the switch 10.  It only has one power mode and I am unable to change any hardware power settings!  I was already on a clear channel with a strong signal, so that's not an issue.  

I am convinced it is the drivers or a conflict.

• Tenaciousgreen

I have done some searching with the help of a driver finding utility, and found that the driver installed is not the latest driver, even though both windows and Acer show it as the latest.

I have downloaded and installed it and will see if it makes any difference.  If so will you all know where you can download it from.

• Tenaciousgreen
    Answer ✓

So in the last 24 hours, no random network dropouts, which leads me to believe that it certainly just a driver issue. 

For those having issues, and I know there are a few, the latest Realtek network adapter driver is version 3007.7.915.2014 dated 13/10/2014.

Now, Acer has the driver 3007.2.0702.2014 and shows a date of 26/11/2014.  This can't be right and I suspect that is the date Acer put it up on the driver download site, as internet search shows its release date in August of 2014.

To get the latest driver, search it using the version number on the net and find a link your happpy downloading from, or like me download a driver finder program (there are a few, but I used Driver Identifier) and it will find the download for you.

For those looking for a Broadcom driver, a internet search revealed a number of later drivers than the one shown on Acer download page.  Again the Driver finder program lists a number of later drivers, so give it a go and see if it helps.

Hope that helps all who have been suffering with this issue.

I just hope it carries on working without a hitch.

Smiley Very Happy

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Acer just pushed a wireless "something" to my Switch 12 that seems to affect the power management. When I get back I'll see if there is any more information available.

• mauridude
    mauridude Member Posts: 1 New User

i updated mine to the latest driver using the link below. simple easy and free process.seems to have resolved the issue

VERSION 3008.2.1231.2014

http://www.drivermax.com/driver/search/search_version.php?devicename=Realtek+RTL8723BS+Wireless+LAN+802.11n+SDIO+Network+Adapter&win_ver=6.3&win_arch=32

regards

kev

• valeno
    valeno Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi!

Could someone who have had this problem confirm which driver version that works? I have tried everything from reformatting the laptop to install different drivers and nothing has worked so far. I currently have the Realtek RTL8723BS driver 3008.46.1115.2016 which I think is supposed to be the latest, but the problem persists. I would appreciate if someone who manged to fix this problem could tell me what version works.

Thank you!

• mole63
    mole63 Member Posts: 1 New User

Not running an Acer but this problem is common on the Linx tabs with this network adaptor. I was running latest driver 2016, but have rolled back to 3008.8.401.2015   10/04/2015 which seems to have stopped dropouts for now. That said the latest driver appeared to work OK for a while then got erratic, dropping every few hours during the day. Its as if every time MS pushes a win 10 update something odd happens to the stability of the installed adaptor driver which needs to be reset. Moving away from Ch1 on the router also seemed to calm things down a bit.