Acer Aspire Switch 10 FREEZE problem

AnonZ
AnonZ Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello, 

I just bought the Switch 10 two weeks ago and been having this issue just want to know if anyone has encounter this similar problem.

1. My Switch 10 freezes a lot. Usually when I disconnect the keyboard dock, doesn't matter if I safely remove it. (Mostly occurs after it went to sleep at least once)

And all I can do to is hold down the power button and let it restart.

2. The keyboard dock seems to be disconnecting and connecting itself quite often when it is plugged in (not sure if this is normal)

Is there a fix for this or I have to send it in to repair?

1. I tried reset to factory default couple of times but it didn't help at all.

2. I am on 1.05 lastest BIOS and latest firmware available on the site.

3. I tried to check startup error, harddisk error, defrag, but didn't find anything.

Thank you.

Answers

• wilsonmanmcp
    wilsonmanmcp Member Posts: 4 New User

I am getting this as wel..  also this one.. 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Acer-Aspire-Switch-10-s-Buttons-Are-Acting-Weird-or-Not-Responding-Complain-Users-450102.shtml

already contacted Tech Support..  and they said is a hardware problem and suggest I hardreset the device..   but that didn't help..  just need get it repaired ......    can't believe this is happening,  the last time I had an Acer laptop was much better..  looks like the Acer QA not going a good job....

• deric
    deric Member Posts: 2 New User

I am having the same issue, I purchased my switch a few day ago and it continuously crashes/freezes when coming back in from sleep and when the tablet is removed from the dock, a hard reset only fixes the freeze incident and will not overcome this issue completely and is not a valid resolution for a  permanent fix. I hope Acer tech support are reading the forum as we need a valid response.

Can I ask were you purchased you switches from? as it may be a bad batch as all of the reviews I have seen of this model has been glowing.

Purchased from amazon.co.uk

• wilsonmanmcp

i just did a hardreset and hadnt had problem so far... will gkve it few more days if that doesnt fix the problem then i will contact support for hardware fix.... 

i got my device from hong kong a month ago....

• wilsonmanmcp

...Man Sad  that didnt work.... device just freeze twice

,,,, just emailed acer support to organise repair booking

• deric
    deric Member Posts: 2 New User

I have had enough with it i am sending back to amazon for a refund.

• AnonZ

I bought mine in Bangkok, Thailand. 

It seems that I am not the only one with this problem and people have this problem around the world.

Really disappointed in Acer with this if there is no fix, this is my first Acer laptop. Going to try to send it to repair next week.

• Kevinliu
    Kevinliu Member Posts: 4 New User
    I did experience For the dock disconnect and reconnect issue and sent it to service centre. They confirm is hardware problem and replace a new set for me.
  • wilsonmanmcp

Kevin, have you had any problem with the replacement so far?  how long was the turnaround time ?  and which country service centre was that please?

• Kevinliu
    1) replacement set is new set. Till now no problem, no dock disconnect and reconnect issue.
    Pls note replacement new set can be request if just bought it...within 7 days.

2) once their new shipment arrive I immediately take it. For my case is 4 days

3) my service centre is located Kuching, sarawak, malaysia
  • KNGP14
    KNGP14 Member Posts: 19 New User

I'm from Germany and had the same issue. The Keyboard doesn't react, in BIOS too. It was not a driver problem of Windows 8.1.

So I decided to contact Acer to change the product. I've used the new Tablet for a couple of weeks and it works perfect.

In summary, not every keyboard problem is an software error.

• francema
    francema Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi all!

No offical Acer reply on this entry?

That is a shame... I have similar problem but is not a comfort to see this as a general issue.

To make things worse, I bought mine while travelling abroad so now at home (Acer is not selling this in my region and does no have local presence either) I have no real options for repair or anything like this.

I was wishing a lot for an upgrade to solve this.

Thank you all for sharing.

-francema

• KNGP14
    I could recreate the issue, but only in Windows. Because of the horrible recovery partition and the acer Software products which I don't usw, I decided to install Windows 8.1 clean with an setup USB. Because of missing drivers the tablet freeze at one moment: I boot the device with an attached USB reciever for my wireless mouse and keyboard. Until the USB receiver is connected, everything work well: Tablet keyboard and mouse, volume and power button (only touch doesn't work because of missing driver). But if I disconnect the USB receiver, the device freezes. This is done too, if I boot the device without the Receiver - so the tablet freezes directly on lockscreen.

Now I installed all drivers that I've backuped before with the Acer Recovery Management. And this issue is done.

So maybe try to connect a usb keyboard or usb reciever for wireless input devices. If you can replicate my way or doesn't have a usb input device, try to reinstall all tablet drivers (you can download from acer support site or use the stored drivers on your tablet under C:\OEM\ I forgot the direct folder path - search for drivers folder)
  • KNGP14
    In addition: I found out now, that (my) windows only seems to freeze. I booted without attached USB receiver, nothing work (no keyboard, no mouse, no volume and power button), but I saw the lockscreen - the clock work. So only every hardware input driver doesn't work.

What is about you, look at your screen - work the clock or freeze the tablet really?
  • jbone
    jbone Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the same problem: random total freeze when keyboard is undocked. It happened mostly when I docked it in Display view (reverse). Also, there is sometimes a popup that I should EJECT the keyboard safely in software before unplugging - but I cannot find it in documentation or the software (maybe removed it by accident).

Also bought it in US on trip, no local support I guess.

• KNGP14

I could solve the problem for now by reinstalling the intel driver package. I forgot the exact path, but it was in the folder "C:\OEM" (OEM is a hidden folder - directly paste in the path in explorer adress line and hit enter).

There is a folder with DRV (or something like that - it stands for "driver"). In that folder, there are two folders and one of it as the name "intel platform drivers ...". In this is a setup file. Run it, install it and restart the tablet.

For now it solves the problem for me.

• AnonZ

I sent mine in for repair 3 days ago, I should be hearing from them in 1-2 days.

If I get it back and still has the same problem I will try your method.

Thanks.

• KNGP14

Ok. Smiley Happy

• Kevinliu
    My acer switch 10 is bundle with first year international warranty. For those who bought warranty should be able get warranty in your local.
  • jbone

The international travelers warranty does not cover if you reside in another country. So purchasing in your home country, and having issue abroad would make that a working scenario Smiley Sad

• jbone

Now it froze after sleep without keybard being undocked.

Support told me to do full reset, and then send for repair if that doesn't solve it. Now here I stand with a planned gift due to be handed over in one week, and no local support/warranty Smiley Sad