iconia w3 battery activation time???

mohammed510
mohammed510 Member Posts: 3 New User
Just bought my acer iconia w3.. it has been connected to the charger for like 30mins now. Yet it wont turn on?? How much time does it needs to activate the battery?? Am i suppose to see any indicators that the battery is charging?? Because there is no led indicators ?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I just left mine connected for a few hours. That said there is a led at the top of the power sw that is orange when charging and blue when charged. If there is a problem it flashes. When plugged in you should see one of those.  Thie power connector isn't in the headphone jack ? Is seated all of the way ? A DVM in the power cord plug should see about 12vdc.

• mohammed510
    It has booted but without any led .. when i disconnect the charger .. the tablet would turn itself off, is this normal ??
  • padgett

That almost sounds like you do not have a battery (or not a functional one). When you boot there should be an indicator in the tray that looks like a battery with a plug. If you hover the pointer over it you should get a message with the state like this (I have circled the power icon).

power.jpg

If not in the tray you have a problem.

(this is from Windows 7 but windows 8 has the same icon just with the plug on the left - the message blocked the icon on the W3 so I used this one.)

• mohammed510
    If it flashes will a factory reset solve the problem ??
  • padgett

I do not know, flashing is not covered in the user-guide. I have wondered if there is a pattern as in beep codes.

• alfer
    alfer Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I'm having totally the same issue with the iconia w3 battery. it never charged properly since i got it last week. I already returned the original product i got & asked for replacement because according to the service center rep it could be a factory defect. However, the new one does the same. Unit shuts down whenever i unplug it from AC, LED indicator off but when you hover over the battery icon on the lower right hand side of the desktop battery status says "100% available(plugged in,charging)". Also i've been experimenting w/ it and kept on plugging in-unplugging the AC connector and turn it back on & evidently will only power on when plugged in, and at times I get the orange LED on blinking but this time battery icon says "plugged in (not charging)". Help please.. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed a Factory Defect????

• padgett

Sounds to me that the battery is not connected (runs on a/c only). Have you contacted the Acer support ?

http:support.acer.com. Will need either the s/n or the SNID (latter is a tiny lable on the bottom center of the case).

• BrianBZ
    BrianBZ Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same problem - got a replacement tablet from PCworld - both do it - seems a systemic or a manufacturing batch problem with the battery

• Nishantsama
    Nishantsama Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same prblm here i got it on order after week and now give it back for replacement and its week one now i haven"t got my replacement tablet. Im afraid that if i get replaced tablet does it make the same problem
  • iconia_user
    iconia_user Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the same problem. It is SO ANNOYING. Will never buy from Acer if this isn't a software problem

• provisionist
    provisionist Member Posts: 1 New User

been issue with accer tabs for awhile now thought getting this new one with windows would make me happier but to no avail it arrived with battery not charging and accer asking me to pay for warranty return shipping cost and havent had a weak yet.way to go accer(sarcasm)!

• akamfung
    akamfung Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same here...
  • seb
    seb Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same problem with my iconia w3. I brought it back to the store that I purchased it from, and I exchanged it for a new one. The second time I was *very* careful to plug it in and make sure that the plug was very firmly seated into the tablet (on the upper right side) and that the light on the power button (on the upper left side) was glowing yellow. Then, I waited a few hours until on the power button turned blue. I did not press the power button to turn on the device until the light was blue. Everything is working fine now. I suspect based on what I have read elsewhere online that the blinking yellow light happens when the battery is completely discharged, and when that happens I do not know what can be done to fix it (on acer laptops they recommend doing a hard reset on the device then removing the battery, which is not possible to the best of my knowledge with the w3). I think that perhaps what might be causing this problem is that people are pressing the power button before the plug is firmly seated and that is causing the battery to discharge completely. On your first use of the device, make sure that the yellow light is on and not blinking, and wait at least several minutes to make sure that it stays lit (but ideally, wait until it the tablet fully charged and turns blue!) before pressing the power button. I am not at all certain that this is all correct!!! It is just a guess, but my exchanged tablet seems to be working fine, so far. If anyone has a w3 with a blinking light and can exchange it and give it a try, then we will see if it works for others. Good luck!

• lmouton
    lmouton Member Posts: 1 New User

I just received my Acer Icona W3 which has the same problem. I can start it sometimes with the plug in, but as soon as I unplug it, it goes off. There is no LED on the switch indicating orange, red, green or any other color. I will return mine for a refund today. I am an administrator for a large school system was was considering purchasing these tablets as an economical solution for students. Seems like a headache for staff!

• thefunkyardvark
    thefunkyardvark Member Posts: 1 New User

I got mine last night- same issue.  I left it plugged in overnight and it's good to go.  Kinda odd behaviour for a new device.  Never seen something shipped stone dead before.... but it seems ok today.  I'm draining the battery to condition it as I write this.  It's been playing video w/ volume at full for over 2 hrs it's just down to 80%.  Dunno if I fixed anything but I should mention I flashed the BIOS.

I'm gonna give it a week and if there's even a hint of an issue it's going back.  So far today it's OK.  Be patient...

• padgett

I strongly recommend plugging any new device with a battery in for a few hours to charge before trying to start it. What happens is that a stone ded battery could load the relatively small wall wart to the point where the CPU may be marginal and startup is not a time when you want marginal power since protections may not yet be in place (can you spell "brick" ?).

• Maja
    Maja Member Posts: 2 New User

I had the same issue now with a new bought acer W3 810 Tab. Battery LED blinking, system turns off as soon as AC power supply got disconected. Thanks to the little hint of thefunkyardvark above I gave a BIOS update a try. Now the battery LED stopped blinking, glows orange, and the battery actually gets charged.

Thanks a million to thefunkyardvark. You saved my day. Your post brought the solution. That strange battery behavior of acer W3 indeed occures to be no hardware malfunction, but a software bug in the BIOS version at shipping time.

• Price
    Price Member Posts: 2 New User
    Whew,,, my W3 finally starting charging after I flashed the BIOS
  • padgett

Interesting. I have never flashed mine, maybe Office Depot got a later batch.

Was there an ID in the BIOS before and after ?

• Maja
    Maja Member Posts: 2 New User

Please read seb's post above, also. It may be a matter of pressing power on button before the battery got fully charded or not, too.  Which is very unusual with mobile devices, as well.

On the other hand it is likely that both are at stores, now, devices with older unfixed BIOS as well as devices allready having the fix installed. In addtion there are two edtions on the maket, W3-810, and W3-810P. Mine is W3-810.

Nervertheless, if one happens to have the blinking battery LED prob with an acer Iconia W3 a BIOS update would be no bad idea. For me it worked perfectly. If one does not have that prob, he or she might never ever stumple upon this  thread.