acer aspire 5755 keyboard and mouse not working, stuck at windows 10 splash screen, updated from 7!

bjmacdow
bjmacdow Member Posts: 5 New User

Acer aspire 5755, upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7.  mouse and keyboard not working.  can't get past windows splashcreen.  PLEASE HELP!! Any ideas on how to handle this?  Thank you.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have you tried with an external keyboard/mouse ? It may need the Acer drivers reloaded though I would expect them to work in the BIOS, do they ?

• bjmacdow
    It is not recognizing a USB mouse and keyboard, the laptop keyboard works in bios, I haven't changed anything there. There are no ps/2 ports.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

it happened to me on my desktop, Intel USB 2.0 drivers conflict, they need to be re-installed using Microsoft standard USB drivers.

if think the only way to try to enter your system is to try to enter recovery pressing ALT+F10 and hope it will start windows 10 recovery or to boot from a windows 10 installation disk.

try this:
    at boot press ALT+F10 or after entering your password to login, keep pressing Shift key, this will start Acer/windows recovery.
    From the Recovery screen
    Click on Troubleshoot.
    Click on Advanced Options.
    Click on Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.

Once in safe mode, try to enter Device manager, right click windows logo key and choose Device manager, have a look about Universal Serial Bus controllers, right click them and choose to uninstall

then reboot

or follow this KB to download and create a bootable windows 10 media and then boot to safe mode using above steps:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bjmacdow

Ace and IronFly--Thank you for your replies.  This is a huge pain.  

IronFly, F10 is not working.  If I hit, shift or not, the bios beeps until I stop hitting and then regular windows 10 loading continues. 

I created the bootable Windows 10 recovery; but if I use it, are you fairly certain that i can do something without losing my data?  Is there something I absolutely should not do once I try it on my Acer?  Thanks again.

• IronFly

ALT+F10 not shift or F10 alone.

if you follow my previous instruction, you will not erase any personal data; just don't click to install Windows 10.

in the worst case, you can't enter safe mode, you can try to refresh windows 10:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Safe mode from installation media

Boot from windows 10 USB or CD or DVD media

at windows first screen option, choose Repair my pc

Click on Troubleshoot.
    Click on Advanced Options.
    Click on Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.

Once in safe mode, try to enter Device manager, right click windows logo key and choose Device manager, have a look about Universal Serial Bus controllers, right click them and choose to uninstall

then reboot

• bjmacdow

as mentioned, i donwloaded the windows 10 recovery load software to a usb on a different computer, i previously tried the alt f10 and f10 and didn't get anywhere, when i booted to the bios, i went to BOOT, with the usb Windows 10 recovery in and, there are two USB options to boot from, I pressed enter on both and neither did anything.  It does not boot from the USB by pressing enter or anything else.  Any other thoughts?  This is killing me.  

• IronFly

if you have downloaded the .iso file of windows 10, can you try to create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus?

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

set partition scheme as MBR BIOS compatible

format FAT32

in the worst case, you can try to boot from Hiren's boot CD and try to recover at least your personal data:

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB 
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    choose mini-xp from the options, once in the desktop browse for your files and copy to an external USB flash drive

• bjmacdow

Iron Fly,

As an update, I did finally get the windows 10 tool to reset my PC.  I was operating the BIOS wrong and had to take another look to get it to boot from the proper USB port.  Again, I want to thank you and Padgett for taking the time to respond to this post.  

The reset keeps all files; but deletes all programs so I had to reload Office and some other essential programs; but it is back up and running now.  Again, Thank you!

• IronFly

you welcome.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Yes I just went through something similar with an R11 - booted to a black screen with moving mouse pointer and responding to some WIN key commands but just sitting there. Had to go through the "repair" sequence but now working fine.