Switch 10 back to windows 8.1 from windows 10

francta
francta Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello

I have an Aspire Switch 10 (SW5-012).

I upgraded to windows 10 and then made a clean install of it. But after it, the system was blocked if I didn't touch it for  less than a minute and the touch screen didn't work.

Now I'd like to go back to windows 8.1 but I don't have a recovery CD and windows media tool requires a product key (for windows 8 that I don't know where to find it).

How can I solve it? Can you help me please? 

Thanks in advance

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

I'd first try to fix the issue with your W10 install before giving up and going back. You can always go back later if needed. Check your power settings first, then look at the properties of the touchscreen and its associated USB devices.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • francta

Unfortunately, in the power settings I can't select the power button. It's like it doesn't know it has a battery.

And in the device manager, there are three drivers I can't update. One of them is PCI encryption controller device and two are unknown device.

I don't know what to do

• billsey

Are you using the new Power Settings app, or the old one from Control Panel?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • francta

I didn't install a new app. So it should be the old power settings, where I can modify the power plan also.

• billsey

The new 'Power & Sleep Settings' are the default in Windows 10, the old 'Power Options' can still be launched by searching for 'Power Options' and then choosing from the results or by searching for 'Control Panel' and selecting as you used to in Windows 7. I'm still most comfortable with the second method, but I imagine there's access to the same settings from the newer one as well as the old one.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The original product key should be hardcoded in the BIOS. A third party tool like the one from nirsoft should be able to recover it.

When you install Windows 10 it creates a new key in software.