How to set FN keys in 7 inch Bluetooth Keyboard ?

rrrsaraf
rrrsaraf Member Posts: 7 New User

As there is no Bluetooth Keyboard case for Acer Iconia W4-820, I have bought one for ipad Mini which is working very well.

Only problem is that on the top line each key has 4 functions written on it. Two of these functions are normal keyboard functions, while two of them are in blue colour to remind us that one has to Press FN key in combination to use it.

While I have been able to use some of the functions in the key like F2, i am not able to use the function above F2 in the same key. I tried various combination of FN with Shift or Alt or control or command alongwith the key to use the function above F2 n the same key but could not get any result.

Also, i am unable to figure out what action these keys are supposed to perform. Interestingly, one of the keys that is supposed to lower the volume actually increases volume, i dont know if there is some error in manufacturing the keys or my lack of knowledge.

I read some articles which say that we can change the setting in BIOS but in Iconia W4 i could not find that setting. Further, some articles suggesting going into keyboard settings & enabling default but here again i didnt find any such option. Another article says that we can download a software which enables us to configure/ change the functions of the Keys.

I have already updated my tab to windows 10.

I would be grateful if you could help if you know the answer.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Couple of things could be going on here... There should be a Fn key on the keyboard that is used like a shift or control key to enable the blue highlighted functions. On my keyboard it's located between the Windows key and the left Control key. On an Apple keyboard it could easily be elsewhere. If it's there and not working it could be an issue with the keyboard drivers expecting a Windows keyboard layout. All bets are off with drivers if you're running Windows 10 though, it's a preview and not expected to have everything working right yet... Working is still a year or so away when it's released for real.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rrrsaraf
    rrrsaraf Member Posts: 7 New User

Thank you Sir for your valued reply.

My keboard does have a FN key. I am able to use some things on it e.g. F2, but most of the others are not quite understood by me. Similarly in the same key above F2 is one more function which again is not described anywhere as it did not come with any literature on usage.

To overcome this, can i assign different functions to the keys on my own. I read that there are software which can help achieve this which load when windows loads.

I would be grateful for your valued opinion.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

If you are comfortable enough to work with the key code the keyboard generates, there are software packages that display the raw codes each key combo produces. They may give insight into what's actually going on.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.