Can Acer Iconia 8W1-810 tablet connect to a regular USB drive

Watty
Watty Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer Iconia 8W1-810 tablet.it has a micro usb on it.Can I connect my tablet to a regular usb flah drive?

Thanks

David

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

You will need the appropriate adapter cable, but otherwise it should work fine. If you tried to connect anything that requires more power (like a DVD or external hard drive) you would want to have external power, which typically calls for a hub.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

A powered hub like this.

• Watty
    Watty Member Posts: 2 New User
    Billsey Thanks for trying to help me. I'm still trying to get my head around the tech world!! I have tried to connect my Iconia to my usb pen drive as i have documents, photos, videos and mp3s which i wanted to access on my Iconia but nothing happened! Can usb pen drives be used with the Iconia 8w? what am I doing wrong? I have also tried to connect my tablet to a public library computer. The computer charged my tablet but there was no other recognition!! What do I need to do here in order that I can connect my tablet (to copy files etc) to another computer. Thanks Watty
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

You shouldn't have problem with a pen drive. Maybe you have a bad adapter cable? The pen drive likely has a light that comes on when it's connected to a working port, does it come on when connected to your adapter cable?

Connecting to another computer via USB is going to be more of a problem. You are going to find things much easier to use the pen drive and move files on it or to use a network connection. USB requires a host-client relationship and both computers are going to want to be the host. There are special cables that sticka pair of clients in the middle, but software that uses that type of cable isn't readily available.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • su1
    su1 Member Posts: 39 New User

I just want to take downloaded files from my tablet to my laptop.  What is the best way to do it?  Move the files to the sd card but then how do I read the sd card.  Could I transfer them by bluetooth?  Help!!!  I am so used to plugging my micro usb lead in and off we go.  Answers in easy to understand lingo please!!!!

• garryknight
    garryknight Member Posts: 8 New User

You can transfer files by Bluetooth but to plug in a USB flashdrive (pendrive, thumbdrive, or whatever people call it) you need a USB On-the-Go connector. I don't know where in the world you are, but this is what I'd look for on Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+on-the-go

• su1

Thanks for the response....I have looked at the link and can see that the micro end would go in the tablet but how does the other end go into my laptop....it looks like a larger fitting????

• garryknight
    garryknight Member Posts: 8 New User

Your USB drive connects to the other end. You transfer the files onto the USB drive, 'safely remove' it, then plug it into the laptop and copy the files from it. It's pointless plugging a USB cable of any kind between a Windows tablet and a Windows PC as they're both USB hosts.

• su1

Oddly enough I have two other Acer tablets and they both plug into my laptop and so enable me to move files.....hence I was confused about why this one won't!

I now have an on the go connector and it works so all is well. Thanks for that......I just hoped my internet dongle might plug into it and give me mobile internet but it doesn't recognise it....hey ho!

• robw3
    robw3 Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter

Likely the other tablets were running Android?

• su1

Hi

Yes, they were....is the reason as simple as that?

Also do you have any idea on my apps question?  In that windows apps are fairly limited and I wondered if there is anything like aptoide that could be used?