Acer Switch Alpha 12 Display Problem (Model: SA5-271)

Zachary
Zachary Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

As soon as I received my Acer Switch Alpha 12, I noticed that it would occasionally flash 1 or 2 thin black bars horizontally across the screen. There doesn't seem to be any visible hardware defects on the outside of the device. I'd rather not risk opening it up to look at the internals.

What I have tried in order to remedy the problem
1. Clean installing the latest version of Windows 10 (Anniversary Update).

2. Turning off Adaptive Brightness and any setting related to automatic brightness.

3. Updating the BIOS.

4. Checked Windows Error Reporting, Event Viewer, and Device Manager for any abnormalities.

5. Updated the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver to the latest verison.

6. And, of course, turning it off and back on.

The issue is mostly noticable when I have an internet browser like Firefox or Chrome open because they have a bright white theme.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Is there a possible fix I haven't tried yet?

Thank you for your time!

Best Answer

• efjay
    efjay Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

May actually be faulty hardware then, best to look into getting it repaired or replaced.

Answers

• efjay

Tinkerer

Tried disabling the power save options in the Intel graphics control panel?

• Zachary
    Zachary Member Posts: 2 New User

I did do that, actually. Turning off Adaptive Brightness and the Intel Power Saving settings were the first things I did to troubleshoot the problem.

I'm afraid it's only getting worse.

• efjay

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

May actually be faulty hardware then, best to look into getting it repaired or replaced.

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Hi Zachary,

I'm sorry that you've ran into this issue with your Switch Alpha 12.  I would like to see if there is something I can help you with.  Can you please send me a PM with the Serial Number so I can look into this for you?

Thanks.

• schlemmi
    schlemmi Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi everyone,

I just got a new Acer Switch 12 and I am having the same problems as mentioned above.

Small black lines popping up across the screen from time to time. Mostly when I a browser is opened.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards

schlemmi

• schlemmi
    schlemmi Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi everyone,

I just got a new Acer Switch 12 and I am having the same problems as mentioned above.

Small black lines popping up across the screen from time to time. Mostly when I a browser is opened.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards

schlemmi

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Hi schlemmi,

Please try updating the VGA driver and make sure that your Windows Updates are up to date.  If after updating the drivers you still have issues with the screen, I would suggest contacting your local Acer Support.

Regards,

Acer CrewAcer-Jose

• zeroc00l
    zeroc00l Member Posts: 1 New User

I was experiencing this problem recently (screen flickering; black bars flashing across the screen at random intervals), and I solved it by doing the following (probably only applies to Windows 10):

Go to Intel Graphics Properties (either by right-clicking on the desktop->Graphics Properties or right-clicking Intel HD Graphics icon in system tray->Graphics Properties)

Click on Power

Select "On Battery" on the left-hand side

Set "Extended Battery Life for Gaming" option to "Disable"

• luanalobo
    luanalobo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just bought my first acer and i'm experiencing the exact same screen issue, very disappointed. Is it really a hardware issue?

Thank you
  • Ben13
    Ben13 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Acer-Jose, can you help me out? my acer switch alpha 12 is doing the same thing. black bars flickering across the screen
  • bm1putt
    bm1putt Member Posts: 1 New User
    My acer predator is doing the same thing, What is the solution
  • kngzyoljo
    kngzyoljo Member Posts: 2 New User
    zeroc00l said:

I was experiencing this problem recently (screen flickering; black bars flashing across the screen at random intervals), and I solved it by doing the following (probably only applies to Windows 10):

Go to Intel Graphics Properties (either by right-clicking on the desktop->Graphics Properties or right-clicking Intel HD Graphics icon in system tray->Graphics Properties)

Click on Power

Select "On Battery" on the left-hand side

Set "Extended Battery Life for Gaming" option to "Disable"

This solution works out!
    Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!
  • kngzyoljo
    kngzyoljo Member Posts: 2 New User
    In my case, the last part was only a liittle bit different.
    Set "Display power saving mode" option to "Disable"

My switch alpha 12 comes back from the dead! Thank you again zeroc00l!
  • lare18
    lare18 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2018
    hello!

I used to had the same problem, so, i Download the drivers and my external screen works fine.

The problem is there's no drivers from intel, so, you have to download and instal.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88355