Acer Switch 10 upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro

tchalm
tchalm Member Posts: 13 New User

I have an Acer Switch 10 that came with "Windows 8.1 with Bing". I would like to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro - 32-bit would be fine. I would like to think that paying for the "Pro Pack" and doing the upgrade would work just fine.

Has anyone done that? Did it work or were there problems?

Thanks,

TChalm in OR

Answers

• Cyberpunk
    Cyberpunk Member Posts: 23 New User

I did it to my Acer W4 and Switch 10.  If you have to pay for it it's not worth it unless you have a specific need for the few extras it gives you otherwise you won't notice any difference.  The only reason I did it is because I purchased several Pro Keys from MS for 15 bones each when they were offering them to those who purchased Win 7 machines just before they released Win 8. 

• tchalm

Great! Yes, I need to do it so that it can join the domain and have network access. I also need Bitlocker. My small business customer wants me to install the time clock software on it and mount it to a wall by the back door so that employees can clock in and out.

I'll try to get that done tomorrow. We'll see. But then the next thing will be to find a suitable wall mount.

Thanks,

TChalm

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

I did it with my W700 without any issue.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tchalm

Installing the Win 8.1 Pro Pack worked great.

After I entered the Pro Pack key it started Adding features......... which took about an hour with two restarts.
    Then there was 34 WindUps.
    An update for Acer launch manager.
    Restart.
    A few more WindUps and restarts.

It looks good to go!

Since this will be used as the TimeClock by the back door of a small medical office, I will need to enable Bitlocker, so we'll see how that goes.

I've got a USB3 to Ethernet adapter, and then can join the domain.

Then I need to find the right wall mount for it - I'll mount the tablet without the keyboard.

Perhaps it's a non-standard use for a tablet, but it should be exactly what they want.

Cheers.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Sounds like you are doing it right! Make sure the mount stays physically secure, maybe with security screws so no one with a Swiss Army knife can get it off. Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Richtrix
    Richtrix Member Posts: 12 New User

Hello 

we have gone for the option of a clean install removing all bundled software, if you are turning on Bitlocker to encrypt data just in case it falls into the wrong hands i would also consider removing all this bundled software! you never know what information they collect!

regards

• tchalm

Good point. Thanks.

• jeevone
    jeevone Member Posts: 10 New User

By any chance, were you able to wipe the 8GB recovery partition(wimboot compressed image)?

• tchalm

I have not tried to wipe anything or do a fresh install. I only ran the Pro Pack installation. The tablet joined the domain and the timeclock software communicates with the server and with Quickbooks. BTW: We're using Virtual TimeClock from Redcort Software.

Nor have I done the mounting yet. So far, the office manager has been keeping the tablet in her office. She has ordered a mount, but I haven't seen it yet.