enabling boot device menu

DianneX
DianneX Member Posts: 1 New User

The knowledge base article says that to enable the boot device menu, power on, at first logo press F2 or DEL, and from there navigate in stated ways to get to the F12 Boot Menu.  But that does not work for me.  At the first logo, F2 or DEL does nothing.  Nor does F12, which means that the F12 Boot Menu function has not been enabled.

Drilling down, what I need to do is change the boot order so I can reboot from a recovery USB stick in order to do a Windows automatic repair.  I've got the Windows 8.1 recovery stick.

So I need to know how to change the boot order -- AND I NEED TO KNOW WHICH OPTION TO SELECT ONCE I DO REACH THE F12 BOOT MENU.   

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

It's going to be a big help to know what computer you have, since different ones use different keys. There should be a short display during the boot that says something like Press F2 for BIOS Menu, F10 for Boot Menu. That should tell you which will work. You want to use the Boot Menu (sometimes called Boot Options) and from there select your USB drive (note that the USB stick needs to be already inserted for it to appear in the boot menu).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.