acer z1401 updated to windows 8.1 but now the product key is blocked.

ephonetyrant
ephonetyrant Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi All, Im new to the community and here is my problem:

My acer z1401 updated to 8.1 from windows update. Now it keeps on asking me for a new product key as the one supplied in the bios is blocked. I contacted Microsoft and they advised me that the new product key can only be supplied by acer to me. Please help. thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,

What was the OS originally installed?

• ephonetyrant

Hi There,

The original os was windows 8. Then after doing a windows update I was prompted to upgrade to 8.1 which I did. After that my product key was no longer working as it was blocked by the server.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

try this:

first of all perform a system scan

windows logo key + x

choose Command prompt (admin)

type

sfc /scannow

it will take some time to end it, then reboot and try to activate windows.

if it doesn't work

windows logo key + r

type

slui.exe 4

select to activate via phone call and follow onscreen and voice instructions

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ephonetyrant

Hi there, 

I have tried this with the windows support technician as he accessed my Pc and did all of this. He said that I would need to contact acer as my os is SLP (system locked pre installation) and only acer can provide me a new valid key.

• IronFly

ok, so it's time to contact Acer support but remembe, if you are out of warranty period it will be a pay service.

• ephonetyrant

So this means that eventhough the update was done by windows to their os in an acer laptop, the consumer will have to pay acer for a product key for the upgrade of their pc because its out of warranty? Its like the upgrade was free from windows but I have to pay acer for the product key. What difference does it make to buy a product key from windows instead if acer will also charge me for a product key?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

nope, it's not a product key cost issue but simply Acer charges a cost to all off warranty requests.

by the way, you can try to contact them by email, instead of calling.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/PH/content/service-contact

• ephonetyrant

Thank you, I will try my luck with them.