Recovery drive from Acer installs Win 8 not Win 8.1

DarrylB
DarrylB Member Posts: 4 New User

I have and Aspire S7 392 ultrabook and recently changed out the SSD from the factory 128 GB to a Crucial 500 GB. When I first got the computer it was loaded with Windows 8.1 but the recovery drive I made at purchase time, and now used to reload Windows on the new SSD, contained Windows 8. It took a long time to do all the updates to Windows 8 before I could install Windows 8.1, and then do all those updates.

How can I make a Windows 8.1 recovery drive? I'd rather not have to spend so many hours on updates in the future if I want to reload again.

Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

my suggestion is to update to windows 8.1 without installing any third party software and do a system image or clone to an external HDD, so in the worst case, you can revert to a "clean" windows 8.1 image.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-make-system-image-backup,26542.html

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DarrylB
    DarrylB Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks for the reply. That's what I've done and have a disk image using True Image 2014. My experience with True Image is generally positive and have imaged and restored many systems over the years. But every now and again something goes wrong with True Image (or the operator) or it's too cumbersome and the best solution is to go to a fresh install of Windows. That's what happened with me in this case - with a change in drive size and changing from a RAID set up to AHCI, and True Image not getting the alignment right on the first partition, it was just easier, albeit more time consuming, to go back to a fresh Windows install.

Is it possible to get or build or Win 8.1 recovery drive?

Edit: I just followed up with your link and that may be a nice solution. Thanks again!

Thanks,

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the easiest way is the link i provided, you can also try to clone/disk image with a free tool like Clonezilla:

http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

I'm not an Acer employee.