Operating system problems

mcmyst3r
mcmyst3r Member Posts: 22 New User

My laptop is a Acer Aspire and the white sticker on the back says E1-571-33124G50MnKs which is what i am assuming is required for a new message on these forums. My laptop has had the hard drive completely fried, unable to be used again. The hard drive took some impact and just stopped working. On boot it says "Insert bootable device" and i have had this happen with one of my other laptops before so i am aware of what has happended. But i have just bought a new hard drive for the computer and i really dont want to have to pay all that money for windows 8.1 again. I was reading some threads at they suggest that acer remembers the windows product key, is this true? and if it is how do i get windows back onto my new hard drive? Thanks!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

IIRC the E1-571 uses UEFI bot by default, and has the key stored there. You should be able to install without a problem. If you reinstall from the Acer restore image you'll automatically get all the right drivers and such as well.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓

IIRC the E1-571 uses UEFI bot by default, and has the key stored there. You should be able to install without a problem. If you reinstall from the Acer restore image you'll automatically get all the right drivers and such as well.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mcmyst3r
    Thanks, sonif i pit a new hard drive in the computer and put windows onto usb and put it in should it install?
  • billsey

Yes, but better would be to either clone your existing drive to the new one or backup your current system, creating the recover boot disk then restore to the new drive. Either way will give you the same system you have now, but faster. If you install the OS from scratch you'll have to also reinstall many of the drivers and all your current programs will have to be reinstalled as well.

• mcmyst3r
    Ok, so when i register my product to this website, it says drivers, is that what i will need to install?
  • billsey

Yes, all of the drivers should be there on the support site. Make sure you have them all downloaded to external media, like a thumb drive, before starting the install. Otherwise it's easy to get stuck without a network...

• mcmyst3r
    Ok thanks mate!