upgrading emachine model M5414

bubbaroberts55
bubbaroberts55 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Howdy all, I'm new here but I'll start now by saying thanks for any and all help and infomation I might get. ok first question, i was given a emachine mod # M5414 that had been running win XP sp1 well they tried to upgrade it to win 7 home prem. but have had nothing but problems sence and it was fixing to be tossed in the trash! so thats my question to one and all, can that be done? and if so, how? thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Boy, you've picked a tough one. That machine is old enough that there is a good chance there won't be drivers for anything newer than XP. Best path to follow is likely to start with the current state (Windows 7 Home) and try to find and fix anything that's not right. Definitively do not wipe it to try a reinstall until you really know what the problems are. Fire up Device Manager and look for issues it recognizes and let us know what they are. We'll try and fix them one at a time, but be aware there's a chance that some just won't be fixable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • henman
    henman Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

You might be surprised in what Win 7 will do with that eMachine. I salvaged a T3256 off of the neighbors doorstep that is also an XP machine and installed Windows 7 on it and now it is running Win 10 64 quite well including the fact it is capable of running a 6 core AMD2 as well making it better than what I'm currently using. Also sitting beside me is a Dell Dementea (Dimension)4600 that is also an XP but from very early 2002? or 2003? also running Win 7 and I started out with Ultimate which it ran fairly well but stuck in Starter which is meant for lower end PC's with a small processor and RAM. With that one the only issues I had was with the proprietory sound card which I will replace. Your M5414 on the other hand is a bit low on the RAM and according to this only can take 750 megs of ram

http://www.computer-specifications.com/specifications/eMachines-eMachinesM5414-Specs.html

But other than continuing with XP in it (that wouldnt bother me but search for Anti Virus and a browser that will still work), if you want to try, use My Drivers, a driver backup tool that scans the entire system and backs up ALL of your drivers on a USB if you desire even though 

http://www.emachines.com/ec/en/US/content/drivers.html

there are drivers here, (only for XP) it makes life easier just in case to have everything. Also if you download them keep them on hand because if you go back to XP the network drivers possibly won't be installed at first preventing you from downloading onto that computer. I would (if your curious and willing) get my hands on Win 7 starter and give that a try. Your RAM situation is a bit low but your processor appears to be better than the AO533 Aspire I have running seven Starter. Windows 7 Aslo finds drivers quite well on line if you know what the device is you can search for the drivers on the actual device manufacturers web site. Also in the device manager it will tell you what you have so you can search what is out there for drivers before you try something else. 

• henman
    henman Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I didnt read your post thoughrly enough to see you had 7 Home premium on it and that is probably conciderably more demanding than Starter. In this case again check your device manager and check for components that don't have drivers installed or possibly wrong drivers.