reinstallation using restore dvd dual boot system

Rick51
Rick51 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Answers

• Rick51

Sorry I must of hit the worng button when I started this post and it posted a blank message

Hi I have a Gateway Fx6860 that has both Windows 7 and 10 installed on separate drives. Of course the base drive with Windows 7 is going bad and I need to reinstall Windows 7.

I do have the factory restore disks. My question is will the dvd let me choose were I want to install the OS ( like in a normal Windows installation) or will it just go ahead and install it were it wants. My fear is I dont want to hose my Windows 10 installation.

My second question is, if I can select the drive were to install, will it pick up Windows 10 for the dual boot menu?

I know I can disconnect the Windows 10 drive, but then I would have to mess around with the Dual boot menu which I dont have a lot of sucess with

Thanks in advance

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

when i had a dual boot system, i never liked to add an OS to boot list but i always used BIOS boot menu.

you can enable F12 key at boot to have boot menu and choose the HDD to boot (off course you can set on BIOS your prefered HDD to boot and use F12 only when you need to boot the other OS/HDD).

so, in my opinion, disconnect the win10 HDD, re-install windows 7 and use F12 boot menu.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rick51

Thanks for replying

That is a good option, and I agree that's the simplest way to do it. However the owner of this system doesnt want to do that. He feels it's to confusing on which drive to select.

Appreciate your suggestion