Need help with recovery of Windows 7

stebs
stebs Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a 5 year old Acer.  I can't log in to Windows and none of the Safe mode options work.  I have tried the f8 option, no luck.  I tried using a recovery disc from another computer, no luck.  I also tried Alt/f10 for recovery info with no luck.  My screen is just black with a cursor/pointer, moveable, but useless.  Question:  Do I need to purchase a recovery disc for Windows 7 (I did not receive one with the computer nor did I ever download one) or do I purchase an Acer recovery/repair disc?  Asked hubby about reinstalling Windows 7 altogether and he thought it would erase all files.   I was told that it probably is not my hard drive or monitor, but a virus keeping me from accessing Windows.  I'm not terribly concerned about keeping the computer, I'm due for a new one but I do want access long enough to remove the files to an external hard drive.  Any suggestions?  Thanks so much for your input!

Answers

• hongji
    hongji Member Posts: 7 New User

If you can get to Acer erecovery management, you can follow this essay to restore your computer. PS: This essay is telling how to restore to factory settings, for your situation, you should choose "Keep my files" in Step3. 

Or, you can create a bootable media on another working computer to boot this PC up and move your personal files out. 

• rustkammeret
    rustkammeret Member Posts: 2 New User

That didn't work. Got message An operating system wasn't found. Try disconecting any drives that don't contain an operating system....

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

The message is suggesting you might have the BIOS set to boot from a thumb drive or CD first. Check to see what the boot order is and make sure there's nothing trying to come up before the HD. If it still won't boot we'll dig in deeper.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • simondarby1
    simondarby1 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have recently purchase a second hand machine for which the original owner hadn't used for a while and can no longer remember the password for. I have completely wiped the system and I too have taken off the operating system. Please can you help me restore it. I don't know if it has a partitioned drive or if there is a recovery disk that I need to download to boot with. I have changed the boot priority but this still isn't working.

Please help

King Regards

Simon

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

You should have started a new thread instead of resurrecting one that is several months old, especially since you likely have a completely different problem than the original poster. Having said that, what model of computer do you have? What was the original operating system? Since you have wiped out everything that was on it you are going to have to reinstall from scratch. Can you still read the product key? If you can then this is likely doable, if not you'll have to purchase a new copy of Windows in order to get a valid key.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.