How do I change from Win7 32-bit to 64-bit?

dgdavidge
dgdavidge Member Posts: 2 New User

I want to a run a program that is only available for 64-bit Windows on my Acer desktop. Can I get an upgrade or do I need a whole new Windows?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

It takes a whole new Windows install to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit. You will also have to reinstall all your applications, though you won't have to get 64 it versions of them. You will have to have 64 bit drivers for all your hardware. It's a real pain...

When I have done this for people in the past, I've used one of the 'migrate to a new computer' packages to move user data and applications. I've had various levels of luck in gtting all apps to move though.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dgdavidge
    dgdavidge Member Posts: 2 New User

My question is not so much how to do the install, but where do I get a new legal Win 7 Pro install disk? Does Acer sell one with all the appropriate drivers or do I buy an OEM version from Fry's, Amazon or somewhere like that? If the latter, where do I get all the Acer drivers?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

First step is to verify that Acer has all the appropriate 64 bit drivers on the support page. If they do, download them all on to a thumb drive so you'll have them available. If they don't have 64 bit drivers then official support for switching to 64 bit isn't available and you'll have to go the internet search route.

Once you have all the drivers, you should be able to download the ISO or IMG file from Microsoft for the same version as your 32 bit install disk. You will install the 64 bit version using the same CD key as was used for your 32 bit version.

After the Windows install you'll install all the Acer drivers and then start doing Windows updates. You won't have most of the Acer utilities and extra software, but at least you'll have the 64 bit Windows you need.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.