Acer Aspire. S3

JBK
JBK Member Posts: 15 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I am trying to reset an Aspire S3 laptop to factory settings using the recovery software downloaded onto a USB stick. It comes up with an error message saying Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem

insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. (there is no DVD drive therefore no disc)

if you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator (that's me) or computer manufacturer for assistance.

status 0xc000000f

info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I managed to use a key combination to get to the menu that asks if you want to do a full restore or keep your files, and when I chose the factory reset it threw up a box saying FAIL CreateiSSDPT DISK 0. 

Is there any way around this problem? 

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

booting from the USB stick, perss shift+F10 keys when at language selection or from advanced menu, choose command prompt.

once at command prompt:

diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all

your HDD will be erased completly, it will take a while, so take a cup of coffee. Smiley Very Happy

once done, close the command prompt and continue the installation.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JBK

Hi IronFly!

I have managed to link in a cd with a toshiba recovery disk from an old computer, and with that I have accessed the command prompt, something I couldn't do before. Everything is good, but the list of disks reads;

Disk 0  18GB

Disk 1  465GB

Disk 2   14GB

Which one do I select to erase?

Is one of these (I guess Disk 1) the C drive and the other two the partitions holding the factory image I'm trying to install?

• IronFly

no, disks are physical, not partitions.

Since the recovery was trying to create partition on Disk0, this is your C: default windows OS installation partition.

if you want to be 100% sure:

select disk 0

list partition

so you can check the number and partitions type.

by the way, can you please report how many and model of HDD/SSDs are reported on BIOS, i'm suspecting one thing.

• JBK

The only disks I can see in the boot menu are the Hitachi HDD* which is listed in Info and Boot, and under the Boot tab, the USB drives, one for the USB CDRom, another for USB FDD and the last for the USB HDD Flash drive which is supposed to be the bootable recovery USB I made before the whole system shut down on me in the middle of last week. There is also an item in the boot menu for network boot. In the Main menu there is an option for SATA mode which has been set to AHCI mode. At the moment I have the boot order set to read the CD drive first.

*HDD Hitachi HTS545050A7E380

Am I right in thinking the command prompt instructions will erase the C drive completely, and I will then be guided to reload the OS from the factory partition or the USB flash drive?

(This is not the first computer I have reset, just the first that hasn't allowed me to use the manufacturer's software to do it. I do enjoy a challenge, though.)

• IronFly

Please unlplug the USB flash drive (it's probably the Disk 2)

yes the clean all command will completly wipe your Disk 0 as it was brand new.

then you will need to use the USB flash drive to re-install windows from scratch.

can you please post your complete laptop model?

S3-xxx

• JBK

Acer Aspire S3 Model M52346

S3-951-2464G 52nss

It's a few years old......

• IronFly

i still have a doubt about Disk 0, since your system is listed with HDD only and it's DIsk 1, can you please report the partions list of both Disk 0 and Disk 1?

• JBK

I unplugged the USB stick and went through the command sequence again. This time it showed Disk 0 at 18GB and Disk 1 at 465GB. Disk 0 has a single partition OEM 18GB offset 1024kb

Disk 1 has 3 partitions;

Partition 1  Recovery  15GB offset 1024kb

Partition 2  Primary    100MB 0ffset 15GB

Partition 3  Primary    450GB offset 15GB

I guess that tells us a lot, although it probably means a lot more to you than to me! I am guessing Disk 0 is the CD drive, Disk 1 is the computer's Hitachi hard drive, and the OS and data sit on Partition 3.

So is Partition 1 the 'hidden' factory reset data?

Why is Partition 2 only 100MB?

What does the 'offset' statistic represent?

• IronFly

no Disk 0 can't be the CD/DVD, 18GB is too big.

the 100MB partition is the EFI partition, so it's good and the 15GB partition is the old Acer recovery.

so at this point go for

select disk 0

clean all

then try to boot pressing Alt+F10 (let's see if the old recovery still works) or boot from the windows 8.1  USB flash drive.

about offset:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/amitjet/2009/04/17/disk-partitioning-offset/

• JBK

Just checking...seeing as Disk O has 1 partition and Disk 1 has 3, including the 100MB you say is the EFI, shouldnt I be doing the select disk/ clean all commands for Disk 1?

(BTW the reason I thought Disk 0 could be the CD drive is because it came to life when I did the partition check, and it does still have the old Toshiba rescue disk in it, because that is the only thing I have found that would offer me the command prompt and I wondered if I would lose that again if I disconnected the drive so I left it in situ.)

• IronFly

nope, don't touch disk 1, just do clean all to disk 0

by the way, if you don't have personal files on Disk1, go for a clean (without all or it will take 3-4 hours to accomplish it) too.

• JBK

Do I leave the CD drive plugged in?

• JBK

Typed Diskpart select disk 0  Clean all.

Got the following error message:

Diskpart has encountered an error: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

See the System Event Log for more information.

There is no data on the hard drive that needs to be saved, so I could do the disk clean on Disk 1 without worrying about that.

• IronFly

ok, do it just to start with a clean system but that I/O error is not good.

• JBK

That was my reaction. I unplugged the CD drive and tried again but it is still giving that message. There is now nothing plugged into any of the ports other than the charging cable. So I will go and see what it can do to Disk 1, if anything.

Instant results....disk clean succeeded. I  did a list partition and it says none exist. I guess next step is to put the Acer restore USB back into the USB port and see what happens?

• JBK

OK. Im back to where I started.

I got the options to 

1. restore OS to factory defaults. This showed the Hitachi HDD on and Acer, 465.8GB partition size, then when I pressed enter it came up with the FAIL CreateissDPT disk 0 error.

2 Restore OS and retain user data was greyed out

3 Completely restore to factory defaults told me I need to remove files from HDD before it can proceed.

4 Exit.

It closed down and restarted on me several times while I was trying to go through this menu.

It does look as though there is a problem with Disk 0, doesn't it?

What if I try and get back the command prompt then tell it to clean all on Disk 1? I can leave it overnight if its going to take a long time to do...

• IronFly

ok, i found your system has 1 20GB SSD and an HDD.

the 20GB SSD is used as cache (Intel smart response cache SSD).

try this on disk 0

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

delete volume

once done, exit and try the "completly restore to factory deafults", if it fails again go for clean all on HDD

• JBK

OK. That's interesting.

It's still doing a disk clean all on Disk 1 at the moment, or at least it's sitting there blinking a cursor at me, so I will leave it overnight and see what happens in the morning as it is now nearly 11pm where I am. If it has finished the disk clean on Disk 1 I will switch to Disk 0 and go ahead with the delete volume command. Actually, I never realised that SSD disks were available when this Acer was manufactured. I got the impression they were a fairly recent development.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

• JBK

OK. I deleted the volume on partition 1 of Disk 0. The clean all instruction on Disk 1 returned an answer that it had completed successfully. So, I changed the boot order to read the USB drive first and tried the Completely Restore to Factory Defaults command from the Acer restore menu and it threw up a dialogue box that reads;

diskpart.exe--Application Error

The instruction at 0xffa868d6 referenced memory at 0x00000000: the memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program

It also threw up FAIL create partition table for Disk 1

Everything restarted and now I am back to the error messages that have come up before, depending on which restore option I choose. The first option gives the FAIL CreateissDPT disk 0 and the last goes back to Please remove all files from your hard disk etc.

At one stage I also had a go at changing the percentage of the drive used for Windows to (I think) 80% so it read C (Windows) 315GB D (data) 135GB and that returned the same error re creating partitions.

The command prompt gained a new line,

x:\sources\recovery\Tools>

It is now just looping through the same Acer startup pages. After any of the error messages, it closes down and restarts.

Do you think it's a hardware issue with the SSD?

I have a Win 8 disk (which is installed on my main computer so I won't be able to use the licence key on the Acer) and wonder if its worth seeing if it can load that? Or would that put me in a worse mess?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

try with a windows 10 installation media, it will recognise your windows 8.1 product key:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

so you will be able to install on the HDD by passing the SSD partition issue.

if you encounter a "Windows cannot install required file" message, please follow the solution:

https://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Aspire-s3-391-6946-Windows-10-installation/td-p/438185