required files missing

Twangle
Twangle Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

Predator 15  (G9-593)

When I attempt to make a recovery media (usb) with the ACER recovery console I get a message about required files being missing and to use my win 10 installation discs if I need to recover.

??

Only thing I can offer which might explain this to some degree is that when I first got the Laptop and SHOULD have performed a recovery media creation first up, I instead got too enthusiastic and got right into using it - including taking off a few things like the pre installed Steam.  I don't recall removing any actual windows components - tho I think I did do something with cloud.

[inappropriate content removed]

Best Answer

• Twangle

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Ok - problem solved by running sfc /scannow

Oddly enough I tripped over that solution by looking for why I've been getting out of memory errors (on a laptop with SIXTEEN GB of RAM!!!) - ie. I did it to try and fix the out of memory issue but realised it might also help with the missing files issue and sure enough after doing sfc the acer console created a USB restore no worries.

Out of memory issue it DIDN'T fix - it's apparently a common issue with Win 10 - latest thing I've tried is disabling prefetch.

Windows 10 is an AWFUL operating system - it's totally ugly compared to Win 7 Ultimate which I had on my old pc, does all sorts of wierd clunky things and doesn't really make me feel like I'm actually in control of the computer :-(

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

If running recovery via the recovery console did not resolve the issue or would not run because of missing files, we would recommend purchasing recovery media then restoring in that way. This will restore the system back to factory configurations. To inquire about recovery media please contact Acer support for your region from the info posted here:

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have you tried using Windows to create a recovery drive ? (open Windowa settings, enter "recovery drive" in Find a setting, select "create a recovery drive". Check the "all" box.)

• Twangle

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Ok - problem solved by running sfc /scannow

Oddly enough I tripped over that solution by looking for why I've been getting out of memory errors (on a laptop with SIXTEEN GB of RAM!!!) - ie. I did it to try and fix the out of memory issue but realised it might also help with the missing files issue and sure enough after doing sfc the acer console created a USB restore no worries.

Out of memory issue it DIDN'T fix - it's apparently a common issue with Win 10 - latest thing I've tried is disabling prefetch.

Windows 10 is an AWFUL operating system - it's totally ugly compared to Win 7 Ultimate which I had on my old pc, does all sorts of wierd clunky things and doesn't really make me feel like I'm actually in control of the computer :-(

• Chithrarajan1245
    Chithrarajan1245 Member Posts: 1 New User
    all my files (apps,documents, downloads etc) except few were missing from my pc . What shall I do?!