cloudbook downgrade win 10 x32

Dazza007
Dazza007 Member Posts: 4 New User

I own an A01-131-C726 Cloudbook which comes with Win 10 x64 preinstalled, I noticed today that Acer has released x32 drivers so I deleted the OS partition and used the mediacreatortool to create a DVD but my acer cannot see the disc (another non UEFI computer can see it) so I used the mediacreatortool again to create a USB thumbdrive of x32 AND x64 but I get a winload.efi error when I try to install the x32 variant, the x64 works fine. Can somebody help me out here as it seems like my acer cloudbook can only run x64 software, is there something im doing wrong?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I will never get why you want to downgrade but that's non of my business.

Your cloudbook is 64bit and I assume that it has a UEFI BIOS.

Compared to normal BIOS a UEFI BIOS requires that the boot image (in this case the winload.efi) to match the UEFI architecture (which in your case is x64 I suppose). So booting a x32 system will be more or less imposible for this reason. SInce the x32 has a x32 winload.efi which will not be compatible with your x64 UEFI BIOS.

And an x64 OS can run both x32 and x64 software.

• Dazza007
    Explains a lot. The reason for doing it my lappy has only 2gb ram an 12gb spare room in emmc hard drive and its all embedded so cannot be updgraded. I continuously get low memory error and the computer bkack screen freezes, need to do a hard off to get it back. The only workaround for it is to make the virtual ram bigger but this in time will burn the ssd out with continuous writes. I figure going to x32 will reduce the need for the larger virtual ram which would hopefully improve the longevity of my pc.

Darren
  • sharky25k

Hi,

Believe me that you will not save a lot of RAM by using a 32 bit OS. Around 100-150 MB of ram. But yes, in your case it could represent a lot. It is quite unfortunate situation especially because the recommended memory size for windows 10 is 4 GB (2 gb is minimum, 1GB for x32 but don't expect that the x32 will run on 1GB, it's just stupid).

I don't know what you can do with such a computer. I mean my firefox with two tabs open right now uses 600 MB of RAM. I can bet with you that even with x32 you will get the same error.

I am not sure but did you try to change the BIOS from UEFI to legacy. There is a setting inside the BIOS for this. Probably it will work to install x32, but I am not sure.

• Dazza007
    Hi Sharky, I was able to install it by changing the UEFI to Legacy yes, I think doin this has turned the TPM Module off? So I lose some of the security benefits, im not to arsed about secure boot so I'll see how it runs over the next week or so, if its ok im gonna convert the girlfriends as she has the 14" cloudbook. I'll check back next week an let u know how it goes.

Daz
  • Dazza007
    As it stands tonight its definitely been worth doing. It hasnt been over the 2gb ram limit, it hasnt flagged up low memory warning. Ive do have 4 devices in device manager without driver though and the advanced touchpad had stopped working, had to put it to basic to use it.
  • sharky25k

Hi,

Windows update is unable to find the drivers? You could try to search for them using deviceID and VedorID. Also you could try the x64 drivers to see if they will install. Usually installers have both the x64 and x32 versions in them so you could give a try.