Windows 10 will not shut down

2»

Answers

• JosephAssalian
    JosephAssalian Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hello everyone.

After a couple of weeks of manually powering down my desktop computer after having selected SHUT DOWN in Windows 10, I decided to re-intall Windows 10. The previous was a clean install (not an upgrade from Windows 7) and I proceeded the same way. And it worked - here is what I did to solve the problem!

I tried disabling Secure Boot in my BIOS, but that option was not there; I guess I have a legacy BIOS then.

I inserted my USB stick (obtained from Media Creation Tool) and hit F12 to select my USB stick to boot. I had two choices for my USB Stick: 1 EFI and 1 non-EFI. I chose the non-EFI and installed Windows 10.

After installing Windows 10, I did all my Windows updates, including software and drivers from Microsoft (no drivers from external sources, just Microsoft). I even installed Office 2010, configured my Outlook, and installed some more third-party software that I use.

One driver that was installed before and that is not there now is the Realtek (for the sound card). But my sound works fine. Could that have been the problem? Can not know for sure, but I am happy with my installation so far.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Interesting.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Supporter
    Supporter Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, this solved my problem too! I tried everything (using old driver, change drive settings in bios, etc).

Thnx a lot

• Molly_1
    Molly_1 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire V3-572 laptop that has had the same problem not shutting down completely - just a blank black screen but power light still on --for a few months now. After looking at some of the reply suggestions you received I found my problem.

I went into the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/Window Logs/System and clicked on the "I" (info) icon of the event when I turned off the laptop and it showed that it had been in sleep mode.

So I went into Control Panel/Power Options/Balanced Mode  and clicked on "Change Advanced Power Settings" button. Evidently, there was a conflict between the main power page and the Advanced Settings so I clicked on "RESTORE PLAN DEFAULTS" button and it reset.

This actually worked for me, when I shut down, the laptop power light went off like it used to without holding down the power button to force it off.

Just want to thank everyone for their suggestions, learned quite a bit today!