Recover files from eDataSecurity VMDF file

Edman
Edman Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I posted here about a year ago, but I didn't get an answer so I'll try again.

I used to have an acer aspire 7520g a few years back, but it broke. I managed to salvage the hard drive, including the .vmdf file from the eDataSecurity PSD. Now I still have the file and the password, so all I need is a copy of the eDataSecurity software so I can mount the file and unlock it. Unfortunately, eDataSecurity requires the empowering technology framework, which cannot be installed on a non-acer system.

I know that since then you have replaced eDataSecurity with MyWinLocker, which seems to be pretty much the same thing only not restricted to acer systems. I have also read that people with problems similar to mine but with MyWinLocker has been able to solve them. 

Is there a way for me to unlock my file? Note that I'm not asking for a way to bypass security in any way, I only want to find the door to which I have the key. Would you consider releasing an unrestricted version of eDataSecurity, or a plugin for MyWinLocker, or a way to create a virtual acer machine? I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Even if the answer is no, I would very much like a straight answer. I've had this file for years now, and I can't seem to let it go while there is still hope.

Thank you

P.S. I'm posting in the Win10 forum because my current system runs on win10. However I do not require a potential solution to work on win10.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Probably i miss something but you wrote that other users had unlocked vdmf files with MyWinLocker; you are not able to find it?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Edman
    Edman Member Posts: 3 New User

Well, they unlocked vmdf files that were created by MyWinLocker. When their computers broke down, they could download MyWinLocker to a new computer and unlock their old file. 

My vmdf file was created by eDataSecurity. I have downloaded MyWinLocker and tried to unlock it, without luck. I don't know how these files work exactly, and I may just have tried the wrong way, but I would guess that the encryption is different between eDataSecurity and MyWinLocker. If not, I would love a more detailed description of how to do it.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, i understand.

no solution on my side.

I'm not an Acer employee.