Install windows 10 in acer switch 10 E?

SarahMay
SarahMay Member Posts: 7 New User

How do i install windows 10 in my acer switch 10 E? I've already tried so many times but it always fail.

It will download, start upgrading and also restart, but after that when it opens it's still windows 8 and will ask me again if i want to upgrade.

I hope you can help me with this problem. I really want to upgrade this to windows 10.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

Check first to make sure you have enough room. Some of the models come with a smaller SSD than others and it's not unusual for those to have too little space free. If that is the case try putting an SD card in with enough room, the W10 installer will use that space if needed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SarahMay

The total size of my drive is 50GB. Only 27.2GB is used. It still wont update.

Any other solution?

Capture.PNG

• hgmartin9
    hgmartin9 Member Posts: 132 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

If you have any folders such as music directed to SD card change them back to default location and then remove SD card. You can move them back after upgrade. OneDrive can't be moved to SD card on windows 10.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

OK, so space isn't the issue. Have you done all the Windows Updates (including optional ones) on the system before trying the W10 upgrade? I know missing almost any updates first will block the upgrade.

The upgrde attempt does create logs, but they are pretty cryptic. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SarahMay

I am not using any SD card. My folders are all in default location.

• SarahMay

yes, i've already done all the windows updates. Only the windows 10 update is left. Smiley Sad

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i think it will better to use a windows 10 installation media instead of downloading each time, at least it will be quickly and maybe it will give you an error on upgrading.

download and run this tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

instead of upgrading, choose to create a bootable USB media (you need a 16GB USB flash drive), once created, reboot your Switch10, press F12 and choose the USB flash drive and from windows installation options, choose to upgrade.

you can also run, setup.exe from the USB flash drive and follow instructions.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • SarahMay

It still doesn't work. I've tried it already, always failed. Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

• IronFly

as last resort, you can do a clean install.

this involve to wipe your SSD completly and then boot from the USB media installation and install windows 10.

you just need to skip the product key request during installation, if requested; at first data connection windows will authorize your copy.

then you will need to install the proper drivers (install Intel drivers first) and software from Acer support website:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

• SarahMay

how would i do this? please tell me a one-by-one instruction. 

• IronFly

before doing a clean install, i suggest you to create an Acer erecovery media, this to restore to factory default your Switch.

you will need a 16GB USB flash drive.

press windows logo key + s , type acer recovery, run it and follow instructions to create a recovery media.

once done, power off your Switch, plug the USB flash drive with the windows 10 installation media you created, boot from the USB flash drive, once at the screen to choose to update or do a custom install; choose custom install, on the next screen your will see your SSD with some partitions listed.

click each partition and choose to erase it, once you will have a single raw entry (unallocated sace), click it and choose to go to next step, windows 10 will start the installation process.

• SarahMay

Can I use 16gb micro sd card instead of usb flash drive?

• IronFly

no, you can't boot from the SD card.

• hgmartin9

One of my systems would not activate windows windows 10 using the custom install. I recovered back to factory system then followed these instructions without problems.

How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First

• maiki
    maiki Member Posts: 6 New User

I agree that installing from boot media is usually the best way to do it.

I tried to do it on my Switch 10.

i created a wiindows 10 install flash drive. I tested it on another computer. It works, boots up, goes to win 10 installation.

If I insert the USB disk on the Switch 10, either directly in the tablet (with OTG adapter) or in the slot in the keyboard, in Windows 8, I can read the disk fine.

However, I am totally unable to boot with the disk. I am technically proficient, and tried every possible change in the BIOS (UEFI) settings (and installed the newest BIOS). When I boot up from USB I end up getting  the error message:

"system doesn't have any USB boot options"  , then it goes to Boot Option Menu, which only has one choice "Windows Boot Manager", which boots up Win 8.1 from the internal SSD. I have tried both mentioned USB ports, and all possible settings in the BIOS (including disabling secure boot, and disabling FTPM).

Have others here actually been able to boot their Switch 10s from USB? (Only respond if you have actually done it with a Switch 10, not a different laptop. I can do it on other laptops, only having this problem with the Switch 10.) If yes, how.

If no, is Acer going to fix this problem soon. All laptops (including convertibles) should be able to boot from external media.

• hgmartin9

While in BIOS Boot Manager you should see your flash drive ID name. Choose this , not  from USB. You should then see it as a boot device after restarting.