How to Reinstall Windows 10 Cloudbook 14 AO1-431

zackspc
zackspc Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

I had a customer drop off this Aspire One Cloudbook 14 and somehow or another they had formatted the hard drive. 

Everytime I try to start a fresh installation of windows I get to the point where you select the target for the installation and I get an error message that says windows cannot be installed on this partition. I've read quite a bit on this and tried a ton of different things to make this work but have no luck. Am I left with using an alternative OS or is there a specific recovery media I need to purchase from Acer?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020

Acer recovery media
    US:
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Canada:
    https://store.acer.com/en-ca/extended/recovery/

if you are outside the US and Canada, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

or you can try to completly wipe the target drive, using diskpart and clean all command

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • zackspc

Is purchasing this recovery media for $50 really my only option?

• IronFly

not really.

you can also try to wipe completly your SSD/HDD and check if this will solve your issue during installation process.

boot from your installation media then press Shift+F10 at language/keyboard screen options, to enter Command prompt.

once in command prompt type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all
    type exit

then proceed to windows installation

• zackspc

Whenever I try to use the "clean all" function of Disk Part I get a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

I've read there's an intermediary controller between the eMMC and the main board, and sometimes it can need a reset? Just unsure of how to do that.

• IronFly

try "delete partition" instead of "clean all" or try "clean" only

diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    delete partition
    type exit

instead of opening command prompt, you can try to select to do a windows custom install and at disk/partition selection, delete each partition until the SSD is set as RAW/unallocated and then select it and install windows

• zackspc

Even with the eMMC partitions deleted and it reading "unallocated space" during the windows installation I get the message that "windows cannot be installed here" and am unable to create partitions for it either.

• IronFly

no more ideas.

i suggest you to contact Acer support service if you are under warranty.

• dzanato
    dzanato Member Posts: 1 New User

I can not too. Same error.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018

How big is the disk ? Think Windows 10 needs more than 16GB. Is it formatted for GPT ? Mine need at least three partitions. Suspect was are talking about something at the formatting/partitioning level. If DISKPART is having problems that is below the OS level.

Have you tried using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a USB drive ??

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Does this help ?

• Mrc1978
    Mrc1978 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know this is an old post, but was there any solution to this. I clicked the link above but am not able to sign in

Thanks
  • brett549
    brett549 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    I'm having a similar problem trying to reset a friends acer ASPIRE ONE CLOUDBOOK 14 AO1-431, this model has 32 gb hard drive.  I get the following message "windows cannot be installed on this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style".  Has anyone received this error and resolved it?  Thanks in advance for your assistance.  
  • brett549
    brett549 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    IronFly's second post above got me past the the problem I was having.  Hopefully the install will continue on to completion.  Thanks IronFly