How To Recover Disconnected NAS Drive

Henry_Coolidge
Henry_Coolidge Member Posts: 13 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I mistakenly Disconnected a previously connected NAS drive that had been assigned as Z:/. Now Win 10 doesn't even recognize it as an available drive on the network using either This PC or File Explorer. However, it is shown as a netwrok device using Control Panel/Network and Internet/View Network Computers and Devices. Though the drive can't be reconnected to the computer through Control Panel.

Any suggestions how I can recover the NAS drive?

Thanks

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

normally a NAS is not mapped as single drive but folders are shared as:

network folders

or

network drives

if you know the NAS IP, you can add this to the Map a network drive, directly

(example)

\\NAS\sharedfoldername

\\192.168.x.x\sharedfoldername 

have you tried on file browser to type \\NAS\sharedfoldername - \\192.162.x.x(IP)\sharedfoldername and check if it connects?

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

if you right click on file browser (My PC) and choose "add a network location", are you able to find your NAS?

can you please tell us which OS are you using?

• Henry_Coolidge

Thanks for your reply.

Right-clicking This PC gives me the option to Map a Network Drive, however the NAS does show as one of the drives, only this and another computer on the network.  Maybe there is a setting in the Registry that is preventing the NAS from being recognized, because I haven't found anything at the user level.

I'm using Win 10 Home, up to date.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

normally a NAS is not mapped as single drive but folders are shared as:

network folders

or

network drives

if you know the NAS IP, you can add this to the Map a network drive, directly

(example)

\\NAS\sharedfoldername

\\192.168.x.x\sharedfoldername 

have you tried on file browser to type \\NAS\sharedfoldername - \\192.162.x.x(IP)\sharedfoldername and check if it connects?

• Henry_Coolidge

Thanks for your help, but sadly we've been chasing a dead horse.

After some trouble-shooting, it's become apparent that the NAS drive itself has died.  Though it was a slow methodical death in steps. Initially the laptop lost its access after I "disconnected" the drive, but the desktop still had read/write access for the next few hours. Then the desktop lost its access. Finally, the drive will no longer reboot, even after disconnecting power for 4-5 minutes to allow residual voltage to bleed off from the power supply.

This forum and its members provide an excellent service. Thank you all very much.

• IronFly

so sad about your NAS.

• Henry_Coolidge

Thanks. Amazing how Planned Obsolesence can be predicted so precisely, within months of warranty expiration.

We designed systems that would last for years, we made our money with on-site tech service and spare parts.