Aspire E5 -511 Black Screen after Windows 10 install When Charging

dmanwiller
dmanwiller Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I noticed that when starting up after the Win 10 upgrade my Acer E5-511 would go black until the power button forced a second cold start.

When the AC charger was disconnected the screen came back on and worked fine until it was reconnnected then went black again.

The Acer Chat tech suggested resetting the default power settings and restarting.  This did not work.

Any suggestions about this situation?

Best Answer

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Acer published the Win 10 drivers for the  Aspire R5-511 today.  Seems to solve the display brightness settings problem.

Answers

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

Thank you very much.  I have tried the suggestions and the situation remains unsolved.  I will use the recovery option and return to Win 8.1 before the month is out.  Now if I could get Microsoft to turn off the upgrade notices...

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

I think I found the source of the problem.  The display brightness bar is reversed with Win 10.  It is darker to the right and brighter to the left.  So when it booted the display went dark.  On battery, the display brightness was lower and could be seen during reboot.

My workaround is to set the display brightness a little lower.

Longer term maybe Acer will find a way to change the brightness bar back to normal under Win 10.

BTW  the display brightness is reversed using the Win 10 Display settings.

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

I noticed that the brightness bar changes with every restart.  First it is reversed, then normal, then reversed etc.  I set it for 50 and now it is constant.

• dumas
    dumas Member Posts: 6 New User

Im having the same problem you did, can you tell me how to fix it?  I've been trying a lot of different things suggested but none has worked.  Thank You.

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

I used a work around.  I set the brightness bar in the display settings to 50 -- for both battery and power.   That is right in the middle of the bar. 

Hopefully Acer will publish a new E5 -511 display driver for Windows 10.  Until then my fix works for me.

Dale

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Acer published the Win 10 drivers for the  Aspire R5-511 today.  Seems to solve the display brightness settings problem.

• supersadie
    supersadie Member Posts: 9 New User

I have this same problem and discovered the reversal issue just this morning. Can you please point me to the drivers so I can correct it?

Many thanks.

• supersadie

Thanks so much! I have lowered brightness setting and all is well!

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

It was my experience that the new drivers didn't really solve the problem.  The brightness settings were lowered on the AC Power power option   and that was what solved the problem.  It works well enough and that is fine with me.

• supersadie

Bizarre problem. I could have gone hunting through all kinds of registration fiddling had it not been for your post...Man Happy

• karunanils
    karunanils Member Posts: 12 New User

Dear Members

If when chargining E5 511 displays goes off.  The problem is with graphic drivers installed by Windows 10 which are latest but not compatible with graphic card. Here is the solution.

Find out from device manager which HD graphics driver is installed since Win 10 automatically installs later version of HD Graphics.  If it is newer than driver v 10.18.10.3621 uninstall it as new driver installed by Win 10 has compatibility issue with graphic card present on E5 511 Notebooks. Roll back and Install Graphic Driver 10.18.10.3621 and problem will go away.  I have tried it successfully.

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

Thanks.  It works.  I couldn't roll back the driver but the Acer driver page had the VGA driver you mentioned.  It installed easily.  

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

Just to clarify the situation.   It is necessary to go the the Acer driver  site:  http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and get  the Intel VGA driver for the E5-511 for Win 8.1 ver 10.18.10.3621.   When  the Intel installer asks you if you if you want to install an earlier version.  Say yes.  The Acer VGA driver for Win 10 has the brightness problem.

• dumas
    dumas Member Posts: 6 New User

Cat Happy thank you !!

• karunanils
    karunanils Member Posts: 12 New User

Dear Dumas

You are most welcome.  one more thing I have found out to disable windows update to download and install this graphic driver on your machine again automatically, is to follow the link given below and download windows hide update tool from microsoft and run it as described :-

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

• ThebeauT
    ThebeauT Member Posts: 1 New User

hOW IS ONE TO DOWNLOAD OR CHANGE THE GRAPHICS CARD WHEN ALL YOU HAVE IS A BLACK SCREEN?

sorry for the caps lock..... please help

• dmanwiller

Tinkerer

I

It has been some time since I had the problem.  Updates with Windows 10 solved the problem.  At the time I set the brightness at half and it worked. The old video driver worked and solved the problem.  One of the MS Windows updates later replaced the old driver with a new version that worked.