Aspire 5745 audio was working. Now it is not. Cant find audio device. Help

mfdoherty
mfdoherty Member Posts: 3 New User

I lost my audio.  If i look at Device Manager, it doesn't even have and entry for Sound and Video Controllers.  I need to know how to restore the audio device and then what drivers to use.  Thanks in advance.

Michael

Best Answer

• mfdoherty
    Answer ✓

bluetooth worked.  Now I'm back in business and all is good, 

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi

If your audio was working perfectly, and has suddenly stopped, then it may point to a failure in your audio device, but firstly try the following:

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Services and locate in the list of services "Windows Audio". Double click to open & see if it the service status reports as "Started". Also check that the startup type is set to automatic. Click Apply then OK. Restart your laptop if necessary.

If the above doesn't work, you could backup & reinstall Windows - a bit of a chore, but this should then determine if your audio device has failed or whether it is a case of "Windows rot"!

• mfdoherty

Thanks for the reply.  I had already checked the windows audio and it is running and automatic.  I also have gone through a complete system restore to a backup done when the audio was working fine.  I guess the audio chip has gotten fried.  I will now try to switch to bluetooth.  If that doesn't work, I guess it is time for a new computer.  This one has worked great for many years, but I need sound.  My wife likes to no sound since it interferes with her TV.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

You could also try a USB sound card as a short term solution. Amazon has a selection at all sorts of prices!

• mfdoherty
    Answer ✓

bluetooth worked.  Now I'm back in business and all is good, 

Thanks for your help.