Acer Aspire 5920 - Winbond and internet connection

Mascibran83
Mascibran83 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Good evening, members of the Acer community! Please, I would like to know how to proceed to uninstall a software called Winbond CIR Transceiver. I already tried to uninstall it through the Windows 10 Device Manager, however, every time I turn on my laptop, that software reappears.Smiley Mad

Another issue: my laptop does not automatically connect to the Internet when I turn it on. Every day, I am required to right-click on the connection icon on the Taskbar and run the network diagnostics. At the end of the test, Windows 10 resets the network adapter and the connection returns. Is there any way for me to avoid performing this procedure?Smiley Mad

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

The Winbond is infra red transceiver for some device or other. To disable or remove I can suggest you look (do not change anything) at the BIOS and see if there is anything there that will use/need Winbond, because it may very well re-install.

So look but don't touch the Bios settings.

I use Piriform Ccleaner to remove programs, but it may not work if Winbond is integral to your device.

Network settings normally need an IP address, and a gateway to access lookup servers.  You may have an IP clash, or a problem with gateway or lookup part.

Typically:-192.168.0.2   192.168.0.1  255.255.255.0   8.8.8.8 

Screenshot has an incorrect value. 192.169.0.2

Therefore if you can access the setup for the device in networking and look for values to set it may help.  But only you can decide if Automatic or Manual suits your needs best.image

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The latest Win 10 seems to have replaced Control Panel with Settings but is still available on a search, I have mine pinned to the taskbar.

There should be a slection called Infrared. Might look there first and decide if you need. If not go to Programs and Features, you should be able to uninstall Winbond there and then uninstall the driver if still there.

However what is happening is that on Boot, the system is searching for hardware and if something is found without a driver, it assumes is New and installs whatever it finds.

Finally the troubleshooter should be creating an entry in the Event Log of what it did. That may tell you what is wrong.

• Mascibran83

Good evening from Brazil, @doughjohn! I use a broadband connection, so obtaining IP is automatic. When it comes to BIOS settings, how do I proceed to access them? Is it possible for me to make any modifications to permanently delete Winbond?

Propriedades - properties

Cabo da rede desconectado - network cable unplugged

Obter um endereço IP automaticamente - obtain an IP address automatically

Obter endereço dos servidores DNS automaticamente - Obtain DNS server address automatically

Best regards

Mascibran83

Problema de rede - tela 1.png

Problema de rede - tela 2.png

• Mascibran83

Good evening, @padgett! Thanks for answering my questionSmiley Happy In Programs and Features, I did not find Winbond. In the Infrared section of the Control Panel, under the "Hardware" tab, everything was blank, as if Winbond did not exist.
    Is there anything I can do in my notebook BIOS to detect the source of this issue?

Kind regards

Mascibran83

• doughjohn

Hi

Well Automatic is not always the best.  And we are trying to stop the reset of the adapter.

I suggest YOU set the settings.

By using a CLI Command Line Interface you can find the settings Windows uses, and enter them your self if you trust them or adjust them.

So try

ipconfig -all    - and for my WiFi I get something like

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-44-44-44-44-44
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5c9b:f63a:c436:a93c%17(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 22 August 2017 08:19:28
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 29 August 2017 09:09:56
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 122217028
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-13-70-AF-B0-5A-DA-DE-84-28
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 19.14.19.18

AND FOR MY ETHERNET

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 55-55-55-55-55-55
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18bd:458c:6676:214f%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 22 August 2017 10:32:22
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 29 August 2017 10:32:22
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 78666458
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-13-70-AF-B0-5A-DA-DE-84-28
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 19.14.19.18
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So I know where I am connecting to.

I did not expect to see that your ethernet cable is showing as disconnected.

Can you copy and paste the output of ipconfig -all please.

• Mascibran83

Good evening, doughjohnSmiley Happy I am sending you the results from the test with the ipconfig -all command. I hope you understand them, because they are in Portuguese language.

PS: That problem related to the infrared device driver. How to solve?Smiley Embarassed

Best regards

Marcio

IP Config testIP Config test

• padgett

Other than I usually turn IPv6 off since not using it you seem to have only a 2 hour lease, I usually set mine for 24 hr. This means that every two hours you need to renegotiate your addresses and if you reboot more than 2 hours after the inital, renegotiation must occur. I suspect that lease expiration many be part of your problem. Also those DNSs are not local, they are at Claro S.A. Any more the router usually handles that.

I'd extend the lease to at least 24 hours and turn off the IPv6 elements unless you need them.

• doughjohn

Hi

Spot on padgett.

The removal of the infra red is difficult because I dont know why it is there.

Desperate as I sometimes get, I use a very dangerous tactic...

Administrator   Windows Power Shell

Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage  (removes zunemusic and anything else with a similar name because of the wildcards, so look this method up on google before trying).

Get-AppxPackage *nameofinfraredtoremove* | Remove-AppxPackage

• padgett

Infrared was for using as a remote control for a TV or for a wireless link to another device. Problem is that as long as the hardware is there I do not know how to keep Windows from finding it at boot without affecting other things.