reload system

dem270
dem270 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an X2630G, I do not have any of the original documentation or disks.  I want to put in a new hard drive but don't want to clone the old disk, I want to do a fresh install.  This machine has Windows 7 installed but has a Windows 8 logo on the side of the machine.  I created a set of recovery disks using the Acer untility.  But when I put the new drive in and boot from the DVD it tells me the DVD must be run in basic mode.  I can't find any documentation on how to get into basic mode.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

never heard about a basic mode, are you sure it's not asking about UEFI/Legacy settings?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dem270

The first message I got asked for that.  So I rebooted in that mode then get the second message about basic mode.

• dem270

I just tried the process again.  Booted from the recorvery disk and get the message.  "Recovery Failed: This Recovery System can only be used on "UEFI" mode.  Please press "OK" to restart system immediatly.  I click ok at the Acer Logo Screen press F12 and choose the UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GHA2N.  It boots from the DVD again and then gives the message "Please boot this recovery disk using legacy BIOS mode."  How do I get Legacy BIOS mode?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

ok good.

this issue appear when your HDD is not wiped (unallocated space).

you must use UEFI to install from the Acer recovery disks.

download this tool:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose delete all partitions and click on yes and then apply

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html#howto

• dem270

Thank you sir that was trick.  I appreicate you sharing you knowledge.  My hat is off to you.  Thanks again.

• IronFly

you welcome. Smiley Happy